NEED SUPPORT: Developing Code for an ARDUINO RFID DOORLOCK with Data Logging

Hi Im new to arduino and Im trying to use it for my undergrad project which is an RFID doorlock with Data Logging. Im using 125Khz RFID reader (passive tags) and an arduino clone i made with an atmega8L MCU.. I'll be using a servo motor to drive a deadbolt lock.

Im using a RFID reader kit and will use its tx for reading the tags..

Im on the process of developing the code and I know it is a common project

Any help will be much appreciated.

Advance thanks to everyone.

THe first thing you should do is write some use cases, small stories how the system is used, and what it does.

Use case 1 - the trusted person

1.1 person takes RFID card and holds it near the reader. 1.2 The door opens.

Under the hood a lot of steps happen a) The card is read into the system. b) The number is compared against known numbers c) The number is written to the log together with a time stamp d) The servo opens the door e) after 10 seconds the servo closes the door f) wait for next card

There are several more usecases - the untrusted person - the person without a card - add a trusted number - remove a trusted number - read logfile - clear logfile - ....

From writing these usecases down you get a precise feeling what the system should do in what order. Furthermore it becomes clear what kind of datastructures / classes you might need - A clock - A list of trusted numbers etc.

Hopes this helps

Any help will be much appreciated.

Each type of RFID reader has different output. You'll need to know how much data your RFID reader outputs, in what format, in order to read that data. You didn't define which RFID reader you are using, so we can't help you.

The process for logging the data depends on where you are logging the data. PC? SD card? Ethernet? You didn't say, so, no help there, either.

None of what you are doing is particularly challenging, except using a home-made microcontroller. There are plenty of examples on the web.

Develop one functionality at a time. Read the RFID card. Write some nonsense to a log. Randomly spin the servo.

When each piece works, as a function, it will be trivial to call the functions in the correct order to open the lock and log that activity.

Thanks for the replies

I am using this RFID reader module from a local electronics store

No data was provided though.. this is the only RFID reader available in our country. so i have no other choice.

The only thing the tech support said is that it reads and throw the data away via serial tx rx..

it comes with RFID cards. it has a built in Zilog MCU for standalone mode and can save and erase a particular card in the memory

beeps once for valid card and beeps trice for invalid..

I am planning not to use the Module's memory to store the valid cards but rather store it in the arduino.

also I'll be using the SD card for data logging following this old topic from the previous forum http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206874649/8

Thanks

I'm working on a complete home system where my RFID tags would be stored and translated on a central server, but I found this device that i'm going to play around with and worst case scenario i have an rfid reader and nice magnetic door lock.

http://cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pcode=PR25

Thought i would register just to mention that ;)

I'll be using a servo motor to drive a deadbolt lock.

What if someone keeps the door open long enough that you think you should timeout and lock the door, but it's not actually shut? If you have a closed sensor, what if the door is half-closed, so the sensor is triggered, but the servo cannot actually push the deadbolt in? I think these cases are some reasons why many doorlocks use a sprung latch bolt with a solenoid actuator.

jwatte:

I'll be using a servo motor to drive a deadbolt lock.

What if someone keeps the door open long enough that you think you should timeout and lock the door, but it's not actually shut? If you have a closed sensor, what if the door is half-closed, so the sensor is triggered, but the servo cannot actually push the deadbolt in? I think these cases are some reasons why many doorlocks use a sprung latch bolt with a solenoid actuator.

That is why you need one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350230332833

An electric strike would solve that problem