Need to move motor / actuator back and forth remotely via bluetooth

HEY GUYS,
I'm trying to power a PQ-12 Linear Actuator by Firgelli by bluetooth serial trigger@!

I got the Arduino mini pro to activate to PQ-12 by modifying the "BLINK" script to a different pin. thats all.
I also put baud setting, one second serial counting feedback (1+1..2....2+1....3....etc) SO I KNOW THE SERIAL FEED IS 100%. When i attach both units, (pq-12 and the bluetooth mate gold), the bluetooth connects, but when i send my remote trigger comand that resets the counter, it does not trigger the PQ-12 like it did VIA usb and NO bluetooth mate gold.

i hooked up a small 6v camera batter, a 3.3 v lipo camera better cr123a or something...?
neither changed output (does this rule out having enough power?
if you look up the WWW.FIRGELLI.COM and look at schematics, how can i flip the voltage ? I wanna retract and extent the linear actuator .... hope ive been descriptive enough

actuator data :http://www.firgelli.com/products.php?id=10
http://www.firgelli.com/products.php?id=10/url][/sub]

From the specs (http://www.firgelli.com/Uploads/PQ12_datasheet.pdf) it looks like you need to drive the motor with 6 to 12 volts, depending on which model you got. Which model did you get?

You can't just hook it to a logic pin because:

A) It requires too high a voltage
B) It draws too much current (over 1/2 Amp at 6V)
C) You need to be able to reverse the power to run it the other way.

Did you get the model with limit switches or with potentiometer feedback?

I purchased a 6 volt WITH the limit switches.
It works fine on 3v, same speed for my load that it does @ 6v. I do have a 6v lithium cell, and a 3v lithium cell at my disposal.
Do i need a DC motor/driver board?

I really am trying to keep this "device" on a diet, so size is everything! This pq-12 is awesome btw :slight_smile:

Also, if im sending serial signal through bluetooth, can i wire it straight to this serial motor controller

lemme know!!!

notoriousalpha:
Also, if im sending serial signal through bluetooth, can i wire it straight to this serial motor controller
Qik Dual Serial Motor Controller - ROB-09106 - SparkFun Electronics
lemme know!!!

I think it is quite likely that the serial motor controller would work with a Bluetooth adapter. The controller also seems to have the power handling capability necessary.

You may want to use the below controller, which apparently can be controlled like an RC servo.

http://www.firgelli.com/products.php?id=16

I have a Firgelli LAC control board, and it needs the other type of actuator AND its too frggen big.

I have a DPDT relay from their site : http://www.firgelli.com/pdf/DPDT_Relay.pdf

my problem now is one everything is wired, it operates 100% as intended when i manually connect the switch to the relay.

when i hook the arduino up and turn digitalwrite(high) to signal, I can hear the relay ticking, but its not fully engaging enough to throw the switch.

what do i need to run from arduino digital out to relay so it can flip the relay?
im using 3.3v 2200ma lipo batteries (can string in row)

any advise?! :cold_sweat: :0

I have a 1k resistor from the arduino digital signal that then goes into center pin on 2n2222 transistor which is grounded on left pin, and right pin goes to #16 on relay. NOTHING!

im reading 3+volts before resistor
1.6 volts after resistor
1.6 volts switched out of transistor

its not enough to flip relay

what should I do? my power supply is 9v (3X CR123 lithium camera cells)

notoriousalpha:
I have a 1k resistor from the arduino digital signal that then goes into center pin on 2n2222 transistor which is grounded on left pin, and right pin goes to #16 on relay. NOTHING!

im reading 3+volts before resistor
1.6 volts after resistor
1.6 volts switched out of transistor

its not enough to flip relay

what should I do? my power supply is 9v (3X CR123 lithium camera cells)

Do you have a wire going from the 9v negative terminal to a arduino ground pin as well as the emitter lead of the transistor? It's required.

Lefty

i have 9v+ going to arduino(raw) and 1 pin on relay
i have the 9v- attached to arduino(gnd) , 2 pins on relay, and 1 to the left pin on 2n2222(e i assume)
using digitalwrite (2,high) to send signal

signal is in this order arduino>>1k resistor>>2n2222 "B">> pin 16 on relay

any ideas?

Well it would be better if we could see the whole circuit drawn out in schematic form. However one problem might be that it appears from your link provided, that the relay has a 12vdc coil and you are trying to operate it with a 9vdc battery ?

Lefty

manually, the relay operates no issues @6 volts
its working @ 9v when i jump relay(pin16) to 9v+

should i use pnp or npn transistor?

i will upload photos soon

notoriousalpha:
manually, the relay operates no issues @6 volts
its working @ 9v when i jump relay(pin16) to 9v+

should i use pnp or npn transistor?

i will upload photos soon

NPN

Here is a schematic drawing from the arduino playground that shows all the proper connections needed to drive a relay from an arduino output pin.

I have it wired as such. should i use a tip102 because the relay has a 12v coil?

notoriousalpha:
I have it wired as such. should i use a tip102 because the relay has a 12v coil?

Can't answer that. It's the relay coils current requirement not it's voltage rating that determines what size transistor is needed. If the relay works but the 2n2222A runs very hot then that is an indication that a 'beefer' transistor is required. Or you could simple measure the current draw of the relay coil while it's command on and read the value it's drawing.

Lefty

thanks for the quick responses!

1:how can i measure the draw
2:should i get a slightly smaller relay?
3:the arduino could make the relay click before, now it cant... do these things fry easily?
4:thanks for all the help

how do i do that? and can i somehow use a mosfet here?

notoriousalpha:
thanks for the quick responses!

1:how can i measure the draw

If it's a 12volt coil relay just wire it across a 12vdc power source and measure the current in series with a meter.

2:should i get a slightly smaller relay?

No, just size the switching transistor (max current rating and voltage) well above the current draw of the relay coil.

3:the arduino could make the relay click before, now it cant... do these things fry easily?

No, relays don't fry easily. Perhaps you damaged the arduino output pin by drawing too much current to it or somehow wired +12vdc to the output pin?

4:thanks for all the help

Your welcome. Just follow closely the arduino relay drawing - Arduino Playground - HomePage