Need your help concerning a project!

hey,
i have a (probably quite simple to solve) problem concerning a artistic project of mine.
i am a total arduino noob and would like to know if you could help me out:

i have the following concept i need to get going in the next 2 weeks.

i want to connect a arduino board with a bluetooth receiver and connect the board with this pulse sensor which has to be connected to a bluetooth transmitter in order to work:

then i want to make sure that the arduino board measures the pulse rate and sends a electronic signal to a led or cable ONLY when a certain pulse is exceeded.

the questions i want to ask:

can you recommend me a bluetooth transmitter and receiver which is capable of getting connected to the pulse sensor and is easy to work with ( of course, it would be the best if its not extremely expensive)

also i would me more than grateful if you could give me some advice concerning the coding and connecting of the arduino board.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

and connect the board with this pulse sensor which has to be connected to a bluetooth transmitter in order to work:

Either I misread something on that page, or you did. The actual sensor being used does not have to be connected to a bluetooth anything. It can connect directly to the Arduino.

also i would me more than grateful if you could give me some advice concerning the coding and connecting of the arduino board.

My advice would be to connect the sensor correctly to the Arduino, and write the correct code to load on the Arduino.

Since you don't seem to have a clue about what the code should do, that might be a problem.

yeah you are correct about the coding thing, i really have to read up how to get it going.

about the pulse sensor: i don't want it to be connected to an arduino board if possible, i want it to send the data to an arduinoboard, wireless is the most important factor here.
or will i need 2 arduino boards, one connected to a wireless shield or bluetooth transmitter AND the sensor, the other connected to wireless and bluetooth and th led to work correctly?

thanks!

What range are you looking for (how far between the sensor and the Arduino)? What is the risk of data loss?

I don't see how that sensor and a bluetooth transmitter, without some kind of micro-controller being involved, can work.

However, that sensor, an XBee, and a battery would be all that was needed on the sending end. The XBee has a tiny micro-controller, so it can read and send the sensor data.

On the other end, an XBee and a XBee shield can connect to the Arduino. The Arduino would then get the data from the XBee (operating in API mode) and decide what to do with the data that the sensor collected.

XBees are not really cheap, being about $25 each, as is the shield. On the other hand, they eliminate the need for a second Arduino on the collector end.

perfect!
thats the information i needed!

about data loss: they are not crucially important data but i need sort of a live ticker for a presentation : for example: if my pulse gets up during the presentation i need to show that to the crowd.

range: the farer the better but at least 10 feet would be necessary. if something like 50 feet would work, thats even greater.

just for my understanding: the devices i would need are : 1 arduino board, the pulse sensor, one xbee + shield ( or only one xbee? )
and then i connect the pulse sensor to the xbee and the shield to the arduino and program them?

thank you very much once again for sharing your knowledge, i know its hard to teach the noobs!

ps: would those two xbees work or is it something different i need to buy? could you maybe provide a link?

http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/arduino.html
XBee Module - Series 1 - 1mW with Wire Antenna [XB24-AWI-001] : ID 128 : $22.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits this one connected to the arduino board
XBee Adapter kit [v1.1] : ID 126 : $10.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits this one connected to the pulse sensor

thanks!

range: the farer the better but at least 10 feet would be necessary. if something like 50 feet would work, thats even greater.

The XBee range will be much better than 50 feet. I have no problems through walls at more than 100 feet.

just for my understanding: the devices i would need are : 1 arduino board, the pulse sensor, one xbee + shield ( or only one xbee? )

Two XBees - one as sender and one as receiver. A shield on the receiver end makes it easier to use the XBee with the Arduino. Some kind of breakout board for the XBee on the sender end makes life easier, too. Soldering directly to the tiny pins on the XBee is not easy.

I'd get:
2) http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8665

1. Breakout Board for XBee Module - BOB-08276 - SparkFun Electronics
  2. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9976

or 1 of these:

Plus, of course, the Arduino and sensor and batteries (not 9V ones).

thank you very much, i will order the different parts directly!
one last question: do i need the usb cable for programming or can i program the xbees via the arduinoboard?
thanks!

one other question :roll_eyes:

since i don't need any encryption or so,
would this option work swell? it would be much cheaper:

http://www.watterott.com/de/RF-Link-2400bps-Empfaenger-434MHz

http://www.watterott.com/de/RF-Link-Sender-434MHz

thanks

would this option work swell?

Those are radios only - no micro-controller was harmed used) in their making. So, you need another micro-controller (read Arduino) on the sending end.

The typical range is 500ft for open area.

I don't know what they were smoking when they wrote this, but most people don't get anywhere near that range. There have been complaints on the forum that indicate that ft should really be mm in that statement.

Those radios are very much subject to interference. They may work for you, or they may not. They did not work for me.

I know what works for me.