Neighbors dog barking

Friends:

I am new to this and new to tinkering. SO please be patient if possible.

My neighbor's dog has a barking problem. We live in an apartment. Their door is directly across the hall from my apartment.

What I noticed is that he stops barking when he hears a loud car horn. What I did was wired a car horn to a transformer and when he barks I press a button. What I notice is that he stops barking for a good 2 hours. During this time, I am able to concentrate on my work. By the way. The neighbor is not home when this is happening.

What I would like help with is wiring an Arduino to sense the noise and activate the horn for 2 or 3 seconds.

I do not know where to start. So if you can help me start, that would be nice. Thank you!

I have an Arduino Uno and mini. I have a 12v power supply and a siren.

Detecting a dog bark is more difficult than you might think...

You could try the [u]EasyVR[/u] which can be "trained" to recognize certain words. But, I have no idea if it would work with a dog bark or how many false alarms and misses you'd get.

In general, "voice recognition" requires lots of processing power, although not as much with a limited vocabulary. Dragon Naturally Speaking runs on a PC or Mac. Siri and Alexa run on powerful servers.

If you can detect the bark it's easy to turn-on just-about anything with a relay, and the on-time is easy to program. (Actually it requires a relay driver circuit or a relay board with a built-in driver because the Arduino can't directly drive a relay coil.)

It would be a lot easier for you to rig-up a pushbutton. You could be the bark-detector and it wouldn't require a microcontroller or programming.

Are there any other neighbors that might be annoyed by a horn/siren?

And after awhile, the dog may get used to the noise and it may not work...

...My friend had a dog with a barking problem. First she tried a collar that detected the bark* and then made a loud beep. That didn't work. Then she tried an (automatic) shock collar. That worked and the dog learned to bark more quietly. But it didn't work perfectly and she didn't keep the collar on the dog full-time and in the end she had the dog de-barked. (I realize it's not your dog but the noise-collar didn't work.)

• It's easier to detect the bark with the sensor attached to the dog.

I'm not sure whether you should try to automate the car horn at all.

Reliable recognition of the barking requires much computation power, but FFT may allow, also on an Arduino, to detect barking. Consider what your neighbours will do when your algorithm detects barking where none is (false positive).