NEMA 17 for ultra slow rotation

Please, if anyone please give a total amateur some kind advice..

I've got to get motor running about 5- 20 RPM with maximum torque. Could anyone advice me on the controller I should use and battery supply. I am hoping use 4 x 1.5 supermarket batteries in series to make a 6 volt source. :confused: :confused:

maximum torque.

Specify the torque.

supermarket batteries

What size and how long do you need them to last?

Stepper motors are very inefficient and not suitable for battery power. On the other hand you could program an Arduino to make one of them move one step every year if you wanted.

This has all the hallmarks of an XY problem. You need to tell us what you are trying to build.

Maybe a simple DC motor with some form of speed measurement would be better.

...R Stepper Motor Basics Simple Stepper Code

Thank you very much for your reply. I have no idea how to measure torque at present, but maybe with spring mechanism scales. I saw an Arduino for the first time yesterday, with no battery connection. I am trying to make a motor control for a camera dolly, which moves the camera very slowly in a remote place, i.e. where there is no power supply.

If any one could recommend me a DC motor and controller I'd really appreciate it.

thnx

You [u]must measure the force[/u] required to move the camera dolly before you can order a suitable motor.

See this guide to force and torque.

8176Patrick:
I have no idea how to measure torque at present,

There is a simple method in the link I gave you in Reply #2

If any one could recommend me a DC motor and controller I’d really appreciate it.

Still need to know the torque and speed required. Have a look at the motors available on the Pololu website.

…R

There are hundreds of these projects already, just google for "stepper motor dolly timelapse", pick one, then copy it :)

bobcousins: There are hundreds of these projects already, just google for "stepper motor dolly timelapse", pick one, then copy it :)

Then remove the word "stepper" from your Google search and you may even find some successful ones.

Forget it... just ignore the *******.

Curbar Edge Timelapse (Konova K2 Slider)

Thank you everyone for your replies. I've been through the links, but still have to get my set-up made to measure torque. The camera is big about 5KG moving horizontal

I've got a powerful 6v battery, and I shall need to run the process for about 24 hours, in a remote place with no power source.

I've ordered sourcingmap® DC 12V 5RPM Micro Gear Box, Centric Output Shaft with a controller, with torque 1Kg.cm, as well as the NEMA 17.

It will be interesting to see which produces the best result... ?

It will be interesting to see which produces the best result

Not the least bit interesting.

A properly designed camera slider will simply work.

One constructed with randomly chosen parts may or may not work, and if not, it will be completely obvious why not.

If your 6V battery is bigger and heavier than a car battery then it might last 24 hours on a stepper. Probably not.

The 12V DC motor sounds like the way to go. Just add an optical interrupter in the gearbox to measure the position to whatever accuracy you require.

Thank you MorganS for the battery info, its's really useful. My battery is a powerful 6 volt re-chargeable unit for a film camera, but it might well not be sufficient

I'll check out optical interrupter in the gearbox motor, this's a piece of kit also new to me

Many thanks, again, much appreciated assistance

The only issue with that motor choice is that you must have some way of measuring the motor's movement. Steppers are inherently controllable because of their stepping action, but DC motors require a potentiometer or encoder of some kind,

Pololu has a selection of geared motors with attached encoders.