NeoGPS Library header cannot be found

Hello,

I have been using Arduino for about 6-7 months now. I am working on a project using TinyGPS and chose to give NeoGPS a go instead.

I downloaded the NeoGPS library as I have done multiple other libraries. I used the library manager within the Arduino IDE to start. When putting the include statement in:

#include <NMEAGPS.h>

I have verified this is the correct statement in the examples folder and by using the inlcude library option.

It does not turn orange and the program does not recognize any of the NeoGPS functions. I have verified that my sketchbook is set to the proper folder in User>Documents>Arduino. I have also verified that there are no additional libraries. I do not add libraries into the Arduino folder under Program Files.

I manually downloaded the NeoGPS library, deleted all other libraries in case of a conflict, updated Arduino and done everything I could think of. I also opened the instructions actually within the NeoGPS folder and followed them to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas why Arduino is not recognizing the header file or library?

sean786:
the program does not recognize any of the NeoGPS functions.

By this, do you just mean that they aren’t colored?

sean786:
Does anyone have any ideas why Arduino is not recognizing the header file or library?

The Arduino IDE doesn’t automatically recognize keywords. The library author must define the list of keywords they want to be highlighted in the Arduino IDE when the library is installed. Some library authors don’t maintain the keywords list, so only some of the library’s keywords are highlighted. Some library authors attempt to make a keywords list, but don’t bother to read the documentation about how to correctly format the file, so the keywords are not recognized by the Arduino IDE. Some library authors don’t bother to make a keywords list. The latter is the reason why the NeoGPS keywords are not highlighted; it simply doesn’t have a keywords list.

The Arduino IDE’s keywords highlighting system is fairly crude in that every keyword of every library you have installed is highlighted, regardless of whether you are using the libraries in your sketch. So if you have a lot of libraries installed, you fill find that random words throughout your sketch are highlighted without any good reason.

So don’t put much importance on colors in the Arduino IDE. It’s merely cosmetic.

Compile an example; if it compiles without issues, there is no problem.