neopixel and a capacitor.

So I'm connecting a 5v neopixel, just a single one to my Arduino nano. Then someone told me I needed to have a capacitor for it, is that true?

I mean as far as I know, it's only good for whenever u have an external power source like a battery to somehow stabilize or stop a too big flow of power?

It is good practise to put a decoupling capacitor next to every digital chip. The neopixel is a digital chip plus a few LEDs.

But for just playing with only one, no problem to go without.

MorganS:
It is good practise to put a decoupling capacitor next to every digital chip. The neopixel is a digital chip plus a few LEDs.

But for just playing with only one, no problem to go without.

I’m going to solder everything together soon for a project, would it be wise to use one? I have a couple already, but I’m not sure of which one to use?

Just for one it will not matter, but if you must fit one then go for 10uF.

Grumpy_Mike:
Just for one it will not matter, but if you must fit one then go for 10uF.

Thank you very much for your answer. So there's no risks of not adding one?, when I'm only using a single pixel? :slight_smile:

No risk. The current draw of 60mA maximum is handled by the surface mount 0.1uF capacitor already attached to each LED section of a strip.
If the LED has not been cut from a strip and is just a surface mount or through hole version then I would add a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor across the powe lines as close to the LED as you can get.