NeoPixel Stranded Wires Too Large For Breadboard

Greetings All, I've recently bought a Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Strip - White 30 to use for one of my projects. Unlike previous components I've ordered, the wires of the NeoPixel are too large to insert into the breadboard. I've looked into this a bit and it seems like soldering the stranded wires to a jumper wire and then using the jumper wire to connect to the breadboard is possible. I currently do not have any soldering gear so I'd like to avoid this if possible (although I'll undoubtedly end up purchasing some at some point so it wouldn't be the end of the world if this is my only option). I'd like to find out two things from this post preferrably:

• Is soldering the stranded wire to a jumper wire possible/somewhat simple for a beginner?
  • Are there any other methods outside of soldering I can overcome this issue with?

Thanks in advance for your time.

ghofman:
Greetings All,
I’ve recently bought a Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Strip - White 30 to use for one of my projects. Unlike previous components I’ve ordered, the wires of the NeoPixel are too large to insert into the breadboard. I’ve looked into this a bit and it seems like soldering the stranded wires to a jumper wire and then using the jumper wire to connect to the breadboard is possible. I currently do not have any soldering gear so I’d like to avoid this if possible (although I’ll undoubtedly end up purchasing some at some point so it wouldn’t be the end of the world if this is my only option). I’d like to find out two things from this post preferrably:

• Is soldering the stranded wire to a jumper wire possible/somewhat simple for a beginner?
  • Are there any other methods outside of soldering I can overcome this issue with?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sure! Easy! What tools do you have? A knife, a pair of scissors?

Trim the insulation back on the end of a stranded wire.
untwist the wire strands.
pick a few adjacent strands that together you think will fit the breadboard.
Twist those strands together.
Cut the remaining strands even with the insulation on the wire.
Try to insert the twisted wires into the breadboard.
If too tight, remove a single strand and try again.

Soldering the remaining strands will make it much easier to insert into the breadboard, but then you don’t have the soldering iron, yet.

Paul

That LED strip will take a maximum current of 2.4 amps, that is way too much current to be putting through a solderless bread board. Looks like you have outgrown them.

Horrible unreliable things anyway…

Allan

Not sure why you want to connect the Neopixel power lines to the breadboard. Why not connect it up the way it's shown in the catalog picture?