Neopixels with Music?

I recently installed some WS2812B neopixels on my house as permanent house lighting. I want to use them for the holidays and would like to sync them to music for Xmas, Halloween and other holidays. However I am not sure how this is done? All of the music controllers I see, just activate random lights and patterns to the music. What I want it to do a "show" style sync.

During one beat of the music, one of the windows lights up. If the music has the piano that runs their fingers down all the keys, to have a single group of LEDS run down the strip, or for Halloween, if there is thunder in the sound, then have the lights flash blue like thunder.

However I can't find anything that explains how this is done. Any ideas or advise would be much appreciated.

I can't find anything that explains how this is done.

That is because it can't be done from the sound alone.

If you want this sort of tight coupling between the display and the sound then you have to program it specifically with a script controlling the lights synchronised to the specific music you are playing. This sort of thing is normally done with a MIDI file playing the music and also having a track of controller messages that trigger a specific display frame.

It is not a simple thing to do and you need to look at having some sort of MIDI DAW ( Digital Audio Workstation ).

Oh ok.

I remember where I grew up there was a house that had music playing and the lights they had set to the music. These were the old halogen bulb lights. When the music would do a Dun... Dun..Dun.Dun, a different tree in the yard would flash for each Dun. I always wondered how they did that. I thought that with Neo pixels it would be easier than with the old halogen strands.

I guess I could code the lights timing the pauses and what not in the song, but I am not sure how I would make sure the song, and the neopixel code starts at the exact time so everything syncs right.

I thought that with Neo pixels it would be easier than with the old halogen strands.

No, exactly the same problem getting lights and sound to synchronise. Actually turning the lights on and off is simpler but that is not your problem.

If you try and do the thing on simple timing alone it will not work, the two will drift apart over the duration of the song. You have to have something in the sound producing unit kick the light system at intervals of time it controls.

I used a large uniselector to hard wire light sequences back in the 60s, but I had the step from one sequence to the other as an adjustable time interval. But then I was not trying to do such tight synchronisation.