Network audio player: which board?

I'm doing a feasibility study for a network audio player. Roughly, my requirements are:

• Ethernet connectivity, no need for wi-fi
  • Support for a variety of audio formats: vorbis, flac, mp3, opus, alac, wv, ape, m4a, the first 3 being the most important
  • A text or dot-matrix display with a menu-driven interface plus a few pushbuttons or a rotary encoder
  • A digital audio output, coaxial or optical. No need for analogue output, as this will be handled by the amplifier's DAC
  • Support for nfs filesystem. Samba is acceptable as a second choice
  • Some kind of connectivity for configuration via a computer: ssh (or even telnet) would be great
  • Some local storage capability (USB stick, SD card) would be a nice bonus
  • I may like to add a remote control, but it's not a priority

An 8-bit ┬ÁC is obviously out of the question. This seems like the job for a single-board computer running some form of Linux, maybe specifically tailored for audio applications, that I could adapt to my needs. Maybe a 32-bit board running a real-time OS may work too. I don't feel like I have the skills to program such a big thing form scratch, but I think I can adapt and expand some existing, hacker-friendly system. A commercial product would be fine too, but I would probably need an aftermarket firmware to adapt it to my needs. However, I'm quite after a vintage look and feel (like something from the late '80s to mid '90s), so I wouldn't like anything resembling a smartphone or a smart car stereo, or a smart anything, if you see what I mean. My file server is an old headless PC running Debian, by the way.

I'm open to any ideas and pointers in any direction, as long as my requirements are met.

It sounds like a job for a Raspberry Pi.

A Raspberry Pi is amongst the candidates, but I haven't figured out how I'm going to output digital audio. Maybe I could get it form the HDMI port.

The HDMI solution would be ideal if it works, but if not you can likely find a "hat" (the RPi equivalent of an Arduino shield) that will meet your needs.