New Arduino:Confused with some concepts

Hi,

I am student and as part of a subject i have to build A4WD1 rover(obstacle detection) from lynxmotion/robotshop. Used college provide kit with Sabertooth 2X10 R/C Regenerative Dual Channel Motor Controller (DE-06) and Bot Board II. Had test code for autonomous operation and obstacle detection using GP2D12 sensors. That kit got damaged because of power surge and bought a new one. But the new one came with Botboarduino controller and everything else is same.I am new to this Arduino and have to convert the same test program in BASIC to arduino executable language(c/c++) I searched online and in most of the robot projects they have connections from servo controller to arduino board and they use those servo pin in program. But with this Sabertooth motor controller only two outputs goes to contoller. I am so confused and am new to this arduino coding. Can anyone change this BASIC code to arduino code.

'Connections 'Pin 16 Jumper to battery (VS) 'Pin 17 Left GP2D12 Sensor (Right facing sensor) 'Pin 18 Right GP2D12 Sensor (Left facing sensor) 'Pin 19 Rear GP2D12 Sensor 'Pin 0 Left Sabertooth channel. 'Pin 1 Right Sabertooth channel. 'Pin 12 A Button. 'Pin 13 B Button. 'Pin 14 C Button. 'Pin 9 Speaker.

temp var byte filter var word(10) ir_right var word ir_left var word ir_rear var word

LSpeed var word RSpeed var word

minspeed con 1750 maxspeed con 1250

LSpeed = 1500 RSpeed = 1500

low p0 low p1

sound 9, [100\880, 100\988, 100\1046, 100\1175]

main gosub sensor_check

; Numbers lower than 1500 result in forward direction. ; Numbers higher than 1500 result in reverse direction.

LSpeed = (LSpeed - 10) min maxspeed ;accelerates the motors RSpeed = (RSpeed - 10) min maxspeed

LSpeed = (LSpeed + ir_left) max minspeed ;when something is detected, this decelerates the opposite side RSpeed = (RSpeed + ir_right) max minspeed

if (ir_rear > 15) then LSpeed = (LSpeed - ir_rear) min maxspeed ;if something is detected behind the robot, accelerates both sides RSpeed = (RSpeed - ir_rear) min maxspeed endif

; Send out the servo pulses pulsout 0,(LSpeed*2) ; Left Sabertooth channel. pulsout 1,(RSpeed*2) ; Right Sabertooth channel. pause 20

goto main

sensor_check

for temp = 0 to 9 adin 17, filter(temp) next ir_right = 0 for temp = 0 to 9 ir_right = ir_right + filter(temp) next ir_right = ir_right / 85

for temp = 0 to 9 adin 18, filter(temp) next ir_left = 0 for temp = 0 to 9 ir_left = ir_left + filter(temp) next ir_left = ir_left / 85

for temp = 0 to 9 adin 19, filter(temp) next ir_rear = 0 for temp = 0 to 9 ir_rear = ir_rear + filter(temp) next ir_rear = ir_rear / 85

serout s_out,i38400,["ir_right - ", dec ir_right, " ir_left - ", dec ir_left, " ir_rear - ", dec ir_rear, "LSpeed - ", dec LSpeed, " RSpeed - ", dec RSpeed, 13]

return

You know what you might want to do is look into a microcontroller made by Parallax called the Basic Stamp. I mean, I know this is an Arduino forum, but your project sounds like a small part of a course, so unless you are intending on learning C, C++ and Arduino based hardware, then why not get a board that is already runs Basic?

On the other hand, if you DO want to learn Arduino, start out with a few of the Examples in the IDE. Then after you've been at it for a week or so, dive in to converting this program - it's a pretty simple program, and the conversion would be mostly one-to-one. It would make a great learning experience!

On the third hand, if you just want someone to do it for you, put an ad on the Gigs and Collaborations forum. In your ad, say how much you are willing to pay.