New Arduino Due keeps saying Programmer Not Responding

Hi all, I know this is a very common question but I believe I've checked every possible fix but nothing still seems to be working.

I recently purchased a new Arduino Due to use on my Mac (OSX 10.11.3) and after trying to upload the blink sketch onto it it began giving these errors.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

Under tools I have the correct board selected, I have the correct processor, the correct port, and I'm using the AVR ISP programmer. I tried the fix that involved pressing the reset button as you upload but it has not worked. I also tried connecting it to another computer (PC) but it had the exact same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The fact that it's talking about STK500 and it's a due is a red flag.

STK500 is used for uploading to AVR boards, not SAM boards like the Due.

Do you have the Due boards installed, and the Due board selected? Due is not the same as Duemillanovae (which does use STK500).

You say you are using the AVR ISP programmer. Do you mean that you have the AVR ISP connected and are trying to use that to program the Due using "Upload using programmer"? AVR ISP is not compatible with SAM boards like the Due, only with AVR boards. Note that (at least for all official boards) the Programmer entry in the tools menu is only used for burning bootloaders and doing "upload using programmer", not for the normal "upload".

What fixed this for me was to make sure I selected Arduino Due(Programming Port) not Arduino Duemilanove which showed up first on the Tools bar before I realized I could scroll down for more options.