New Arduino programming

Hi All,

i'm new here, and new with the Arduino devices. i've bought 2 devices Arduino Uno and Due.

my purpose for using the Arduino is to toggle the GPIOs of the devices

i'll connect the Arduino GPIOs to other boards/devices, and to reset this boards using the Arduino GPIOs.

and i need to connect the Arduino to Ubuntu 14.04, because my boards is connected to this server and i'm running some tests on this boards, and during my tests i need to reset the boards (using Arduino).

I've 2 questions: 1. how can see the GPIOs of the Arduino in the Ububtu? can I toggle this gpios from the Linux?

1. can i wrote SW on Arduino that get input from Ubuntu and knows to toggle GPIOs?

Please i need your help in this,

Thanks, Hanna

This demo shows how to communicate with an Arduino using Python. It was developed on Ubuntu.

You may also be interested in this simple GUI demo.

...R

Thanks for your replay,

regarding the Ubuntu and GPIOs, is there way to control the GPIOs from the Ubuntu?

another question.. how could i upload code to Arduino due (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDue)?

Hanna

hanna_hawa:
regarding the Ubuntu and GPIOs, is there way to control the GPIOs from the Ubuntu?

We must be on different wavelengths - I can’t envisage whaat is in your mind when you ask that question.

You can write an Arduino program that will make any of the Arduino I/O pins do anything they are capable of in response to data sent from the PC.

You can’t control the Arduino I/O pins from a PC unless you have a suitable program on the Arduino.

It would be a big help if you describe the project you want to build rather than ask questions about how it can be done.

…R

I'm building automation system that run tests on development boards. currently the boards are connected using parallel port to the Linux PC, every board got DATA and GND, and using this pins i can reset the board.

what i'm thinking to do, is to use the Arduino GPIOs to reset our boards, every time the automation need.

hanna_hawa: what i'm thinking to do, is to use the Arduino GPIOs to reset our boards, every time the automation need.

Let us know if you need any more advice.

...R

do you have any perl script that send/rcv to/from data Arduino?

hanna_hawa: do you have any perl script that send/rcv to/from data Arduino?

No. Only the Python stuff in Reply #1.

If you are familiar with Perl I'm sure you could easily convert it.

...R

hanna_hawa: currently the boards are connected using parallel port to the Linux PC, every board got DATA and GND, and using this pins i can reset the board.

Something to keep in mind, in case you hadn't thought about it or for some other reason: Be careful of ground loops. This is the kind of setup that can easily lead to finding varying potentials between two supposed "grounds" that should be at 0 volts, but aren't - leading to some level of voltage difference between the two connected systems. This can cause everything from weird bugs to track down, to damage to components or the system as a whole. Just keep it in mind, and check things carefully as you develop your test rig.