New Arduino user - best way to wire multiple short LED strips

Hey everyone,

I'm creating a display stand that will have a few different levels and 4-6 different items that I'll want to light up with LEDs. The measurements are roughly 12"Wx20"Lx6"H. I've been experimenting with a 60 LED strip and am just learning the basics of it, but I think I have a rudimentary understanding of what I need to do, I just want to see how best to approach it.

The different items to light will need the following: 1 strip of 19 LEDs (only 7 are being used however), 1 strip of 12-14 LEDs, 2 strips of 4-5 LEDs, and 2 strips of 6 LEDs. Is my best bet to cut 1 60 LED strip into these different segments, solder the sections together with wires, and then power it off one pin? I don't need to run any fancy programs, just want to turn on the LEDs and have them be a specific color.

Would it be better to instead run each segment off of a different pin?

I'd like to power it off of a portable power bank so I don't have to run a wire to a power outlet if that makes any difference. Thanks for your help!

what type of LEDs are they?

Given the number of LEDs and short distance, I don't think it matters much how you wire them as long as you do a good soldering job ➜ I'd go for what's easiest to wire.

Hope you have a large power banks, LEDs can be power hungry...

it sounds like there´s nothing to do with a microprocessor, isnt ? if you want it to blink you can build a simple oscillator... driving those strips you need rele at least or transistor sourcing the power...

Thanks for the insight. The LEDs are a strip of WS2812B. The lights won't be on constantly, I'll just turn them on occasionally. It's a display stand for a lightsaber and crystals that I bought at Galaxy's Edge at Disney. I just want a way to light up the saber and crystals every once in a while. This is a mock-up of just the crystals lit up. You can see the rest of the LED strip hanging out of either end of the display lol.

nice Star Wars' figurine collection !

(good you mention it's a lightsaber - for one sec I was thinking you were showing off something else :innocent: )

Ha! Definitely a lightsaber. Thanks for the help!

how do you plan to provide the 5V to the LEDs ? hacking the USB port of your power bank? (depending on how they are done you might only get 500mA worth of current and one white pixel at full brightness will need 60mA (20mA per primary Red, Green and Blue). it adds up pretty quickly if you have 60 of them)

I have a 5V 4A power supply that I've been using for testing and learning. I had heard that you could power it from a power bank, but based off what you just said it seems that might not be viable with my set up. I'll probably just use my power supply now.

I'm a total beginner and was never good with volts/amps/etc in school, so I'm glad you brought it up before I bought a power bank to use.

5V 4A power-banks often offer 2 USB ports, each providing 2A for some time.

but if the power bank is smart, the current provided over USB will depend on what's on the other side, and USB3 introduced some power management stuff.

if you just hack into the USB cable to get power, it might not be enough and of course, powering off your Arduino 5V pin is not a good idea

if you can have a 5V 4A power brick to feed your LEDs from main then that's easier, just need to join the GND of that power supply with the Arduino GND. (both could be powered in parallel).