New Arduino Yun - Bricked It - Out of Space

I connected my Arduino and once able to ssh, I attempted to install node from okpg. The device ran out of storage and is now in a bad state.

The WiFi no longer start. i've been able to connect using the wired LAN connection, but it doesn't connect right away, and I only ever get 1-2 minutes of connection before it boots me. I never have enough time to effectively fix this issue.

I've tried using all the reset buttons.

If I knew where okpg put those new files I could simply go delete them to free up space.

Please help.

adickson311: I only ever get 1-2 minutes of connection before it boots me. I never have enough time to effectively fix this issue.

I'm sorry you're having trouble. I don't have all the answers on how to fix your issues, but I might be able to get you to the point where you have more than a minute to try and fix things. I'm guessing this is triggered by your WiFi problems: there is a script that runs a minute or two after the Yun boots up, which checks the WiFi connection - if it's not connected, it reverts back to the factory default wireless settings and reboots the Yun. I think the idea is that it's a safety net that gets you back to a known state if you made a mistake setting up the WiFi connection. But in your case, since you have problems caused by the failed node install, it's unable to restore the WiFi settings and the process repeats indefinitely.

To give yourself some time to work on it, once you are able to log in, quickly edit [b]/etc/rc.local[/b]. In there is a line that runs [b]wifi-live-or-reset[/b] which is the script that does the checking/resetting. Comment out the line by adding a '#' in front of it and save the changes. Let the system reboot one more time, and the constant resetting every couple minutes should be gone.

Then, you will have some time to try and fix the problem. The first thing I would try is the full factory restore. This can be done by waiting for the system to fully boot up (very important) and then pressing and holding the WLAN RST button for more than 30 seconds. It can take a long time for the reset to actually happen and the system to fully reboot, so be patient. If you are having problems booting, the process that looks for the long button press might not be working properly. If you are able to log in, you can accomplish the same reset by logging in and running [b]reset-to-factory-anyway[/b]

Once you get the system back and running properly, get yourself a good quality micro SD card (beware of counterfeit cards that don't actually have the claimed space) and then run the Yun Disk Expander sketch before trying to install node again.

From FAQ, Answer 000

= [Q:] I cannot connect to My Arduino Yún. What do I do? =

First it’s good to know, when Arduino Yun cannot find the AP you have set it for (like your home wifi), it has a script that puts it back into default SSID and AP mode.

Next, you may have already watched this video, but it’s worth watching again. Pay extra attention to the part with the sketches.
Getting started with Arduino Yún - tutorial (6:53)

Then, read the short instructions immediately below. We (the volunteer support group) already know these steps by heart, so be familiar with the different reboot methods, and especially the 30+ second wifi reset. Also, not mentioned on that page, if you reset the Wifi/Linux part of the Yun, it will take from 2-8 minutes for the reboot. Lastly on this part, YOU MUST WAIT for the Linux portion to fully boot BEFORE YOU PRESS ANY of the RESET buttons.

Resetting the processors (AR9331, WiFi, and 32U4)

Then start over, plug your Yun into the USB port, run this sketch, and hit the ‘‘Wifi Reset button’’ (for 5-10 seconds). (see attached image)

The YunSerialTerminal provides a simplified console access to the Linux part of the Yun. It works via the USB port (the one that powers the Yun - the microUSB). From there you’ll be able to run a few commands to give us a better idea of problems.

Also, be ready with this sketch YunWiFiStatus. This sketch will help us see the status of your home AP. The sketch prints the wifi status to the console every 5 seconds or so. This sketch might seem familiar as it was in that first video link (above).

Let us know how it goes.
Post results from the YunSerialTerminal, if you are still having problems.
Please use markup when posting results. (see attached image)

Jesse

arduino_markup.png

Thanks for the replies!

To recreate my issue:

1. SSH into a connected YUN (without an SD card)
  2. Enter command: opkg install node

This will cause the Yun to max out all the available space, which will put into an error state. You can't opkg remove any packages.

To fix my issue:

1. Since you can't connect over the network, you have to plus into USB and use the YunSerialTerminal sketch in conjunction with the SerialMonitor (under Tools in the arduino IDE). This allowed me some time to run a script to remove some files (to free up space). From here resetting the device and loading a fresh sketch seemed to fix everything.

Thanks again.