New Bluetooth project

Hi

I am wanting to do a one off project with my school pupils to build a system that controls via bluetooth a solenoid to turn a tap on and off.

I have used Gadgeteer a little bit but would like to try arduino.

I would appreciate some help with what parts I need to buy as I know with Gadgeteer only some mainboards would support certain expansion boards.

In my simple mind I see that I need a Mainboard (which one would you advise), a bluetooth sender and receiver (again which one would you suggest) and finally a motor driver board to run the solenoid (again which would you suggest).

This is not a post where I want it done for me or the program writing, just pointing me in the right direction would be great. Thanks

Linkin

I teach...and know what budget is like.

Lowest cost I can think of is having ATTiny85 MCUs and then some HC-05 bluetooth modules if you were even considering say buying maybe 15-20 sets per class.

As a one off demo or re-suable in each set, id go 6-7 UNOs and some HC-05s.

For quick success, consider the Adafruit Bluefruit LE ($20) Bluetooth adapter with any basic Arduino (Uno, Yourduino, clone) ($15). Download an app to your Android (I didn't try iPhone). Everybody has a phone these days - kids too. Load the Bluefruit library and pick an example program. Adafruit has a tutorial that is good (not great, but good). You will be bluetoothing in an afternoon.

The water control valve will need a drive circuit. There's an Instructable for the water control part that uses an Uno. Since you're only after hints, there you go.

Johnny010: I teach...and know what budget is like.

Lowest cost I can think of is having ATTiny85 MCUs and then some HC-05 bluetooth modules if you were even considering say buying maybe 15-20 sets per class.

As a one off demo or re-suable in each set, id go 6-7 UNOs and some HC-05s.

Thanks Johnny

Yeah it is just a competition they are doing so even just one or two kits would be fine but it is getting the right stuff for the right price.

Like I say I used the Gadgeteer and had a few odd things where one module used one port and blocked other modules and so on so don't want to spend money on a dud. Thanks again, it gives me a good starting point.

Linkin

MrsCrossRoads: For quick success, consider the Adafruit Bluefruit LE ($20) Bluetooth adapter with any basic Arduino (Uno, Yourduino, clone) ($15). Download an app to your Android (I didn't try iPhone). Everybody has a phone these days - kids too. Load the Bluefruit library and pick an example program. Adafruit has a tutorial that is good (not great, but good). You will be bluetoothing in an afternoon.

The water control valve will need a drive circuit. There's an Instructable for the water control part that uses an Uno. Since you're only after hints, there you go.

Thank you. Yeah I want the kids to work it out but I don't want to buy the wrong gear to start with!

Thats great about the AdaFruit LE, I'll have a look in to it.

Thanks

Linkin

Johnny010: and some HC-05s.

HC-05 Bluetooth can be either master or slave so you could use two modules to allow two Arduinos to communicate.

I don't have any experience with using Bluetooth with iPhones. HC-05 Bluetooth modules work with just about any Android.

Be aware BLE is a new protocol. I think only the newest smartphones are equipped to use BLE.

DuaneDegn: HC-05 Bluetooth modules work with just about any Android.

It should work with all androids but no iphone.

Connection/control with a phone is good idea but it would help if there are no iphones in the classroom.

BLE is a new protocol. I think only the newest smartphones are equipped to use BLE.

This is irrelevant. If android does not have BLE, a BLE device steps down to BT2 or whatever protocols and keeps talking. The problem is iPhone, which has BLE but refuses to talk to BT2 for other reasons, and may be of doubtful value even if it did.

The HC-05 is fine and an obvious choice but you can get BLE modules that look and feel like an HC-05 and only cost a couple of dollars more. Certainly a better bet than that thing from Adafruit. The Tinysine is about $7 on eBay and there are probably others.

You might find the following background notes useful

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/GUIDE_2BT.pdf http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/BT_2_WAY.ino

Nick_Pyner: This is irrelevant. If android does not have BLE, a BLE device steps down to BT2 or whatever protocols and keeps talking.

I didn't know this. Thanks for the clarification and information.

This does a lot to explain why people are so excited about BLE.

I'll read through the links you gave. Thanks again.