New chip wont program

So I blew up my arduino duemilanove when trying to use it as a isp programmer. I was trying to flash a chip on a esc, I dont exactly know what happend, but most likely one of the I/O digital pins got connected to the 12V from the battery. I wasn't using the arduino to power the micro on the esc, so the power rail was not connected. The smoke came out so I ordered a replacement.

So I ordered a new one and popped it into the board. However I check the com port, the board type and try and upload something I get the following.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

This error is associated with somthing not being connected right usually. I know I have the right com port, and I know the chip is plugged in the right way. I know I have the right board selected. I'm not sure what is the problem.

Might try and see weather I can take the chip out and use the board to program my nano. Or weather I can use a ttl programmer to program the replacement chip I got.Other than that I'm stumped

Any idea? thanks.

"So I ordered a new one and popped it in"

Does that mean a new '328 that's bootloaded?

[ not "weather", it's whether ]

Try Loop Back Test and confirm that the usb to serial converter is working. If a +12 line got connected to your board for a sec, it may have fried the Usb to serial chip also as happened with me. I had to go with the DASA3 to create a USBtiny and program my other chips.

Thanks everyone. Been busy so haven't thought about it for a week. Today I tried the loop back test and it passed. So obviously the serial converter is working. I bought the chip form here, so presumably it has a bootloader. Probably did the dumb thing by buying a cheap ebay chip :p .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291548865423?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyway so I thought in case it doesn't I would connect my usbasp to the isp and see weather I can burn the bootloader that way, no luck. I get this error.

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.

I know the firmware is good for my usbasp

Just got it working. I don't know why it was saying the firmware was a problem, because it did something. Now it seems to work fine, even after it threw the error when trying to burn the bootloader. seems weird but I'm not complaining. Seems to have no issues now

Thanks everyone for you're help!

david97:
Just got it working. I don’t know why it was saying the firmware was a problem, because it did something. Now it seems to work fine, even after it threw the error when trying to burn the bootloader. seems weird but I’m not complaining. Seems to have no issues now

Thanks everyone for you’re help!

1. Ignore that warning when using USBASP

2. Don’t upgrade the USBASP firmware to the older version that’s commonly available. It has other problems. There’s really no need to upgrade it at all.

3. If you feel that you must upgrade it to get rid of that warning, read through this thread:- USBasp Update Warning
    Toward the end of the thread, bperrybap has some posts regarding the latest version of the firmware, which might be is fine by the sound of it.
    Here’s a link to the relevant part of that thread:- http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=363772.msg2716604#msg2716604

Still, that ‘warning’ is just that - a ‘warning’, not an error, and it’s perfectly safe to completely ignore it. (As you’ve discovered.)
I have two USBASP programmers here, one I updated and one that I didn’t. The one I didn’t update works well. The updated one often has problems. (I didn’t use the latest update by bperrybap and PeterVH though. It sounds pretty good. I might try it on my previously-updated programmer when I get a chance.)