new components

i have a few component questions.
what are the differences and uses to diodes (ie, zenar, flyback, ect)?
Same with transistors.
i also recieved duel h-bridge, shift register, a duel axis accelerometer, and a i2c 16 input/output port expander and need help finding tutorials and some general applications
also having trouble runing dc motors using transistors and have no idea how to use the h-bridge.

Wow, where should we start? I hope you have a lot of time to complete this project...

I will start with the diode question. A zener diode has a very specific reverse breakdown characteristic and is used as a voltage reference or clamp.

A flyback diode is not a specific kind of diode, but a diode used in a particular circuit, the "flyback" transformer of an old CRT.

Google will help with a lot of this.

This is why nasa does not have a public forum lol...

What concerns me is... where did he get all the terminology from (zener, flyback etc) to begin with and why is he not using a search engine?

Diodes like transistors behave differently based on how you wire it up, get googling.

@seanvll

It would be helpful if you spend more time to construct your questions more specifically, so we can all understand better what exactly you are trying to do...

the google thing teaches me nothing. to many people just copying other peoples failed project.
i have not been able to get any info other than pin locations. what i want to learn is how to make a 100% stand alone rov and controller. but when i ask "how to i make a wireless reciever?" (example) i get people sending links to adafruit or hobby king store and its a wireless reciever. now ifi wanted to buy a reciever i would not have the arduino. i am not interested in buying breakouts breakouts , shields, or any other premade device. i wan to learn how they ar made. so i dont have to blow up the forum.

i cannot t even start a dc mootor

Then I strongly suggest getting something like the Arduino Inventors Kit from Arduino and work through all the exercises.

We are glad to help, but we are not here to provide electronics 101.

And to get you started, here is the science of licking a 9 volt battery:

Which is a good place to start.

i have most of the components in that kit. how do i get the guide witout the kit

You are really lazy.

If you went to the link I provided and go to the guidebook in the parts list, you can click on it and download a pdf of the guidebook.

(deleted)

First off I have had it with disrespect. I have had it with useless reply after useless reply. I have googled every part I own you self righteous twits. I also know how to use most of them. so I have a few that I don't know. So instead of putting your self absorbed ego out there and act like a total duech, how about put your self in my shoes. I'm broke and can't afford $100 kits, $40 books that teach me nothing. I googled this thing since december and everything I find is useles, I find data sheets and full projects. I don't want to know how to build someone elses crap, I don't want to use shields, breakouts, or tools "lazy people" use. I want to make my own. But before I can I need to know how to use the pieces. 5, pieces. But I get responded to with stupid replies, GOOGLE GETS ME NOWHERE !!!!! And what if I was a 10 year old? "go to college", are you serious??? That's the most ignorant thing I have heard in a while. ALL I NEED IS A SIMPLE SCRIPT!! Not a tutorial on how to build a microwave when I just need a h-gate script. And I can't read pdfs cause my phone is a 10 year old smart phone. No pc. I program with the mobile IDE

You know what disrespect is?

Expecting UNPAID helpers who give up their time to help people who have no interest in helping themselves... go to an electronic store and ask them the same questions.

No disrespect intended, but it casts doubts on your 'high quality underwater drone' scheme if that is the level of technology you have at your disposal.

I'd love to know how he's able to write code on a device, compile and upload it from a mobile device from 2004... :fearful:

im going to calm down for a sec. but i had a simple series of questions and i did research. i am actually using one of the first droids, old but still does the trick. i program my arduino using the mobile arduino ide and a micro to tybe b cable.

also parts from non micro controller projects i have left over are:

5+ lithium ion batteries
2- lithium ion capacitor type batteries. the ones your never ment to take out.
2 solar panels (3.7 +6volt)
a ton of leds including RBG, Green Red, Red Blue, and Green Yellow.
1 harvested led controller
1 usb type b female piece
5 push buttons
2 mini switch
2 brushed dc hobby motors
1 pentometer
1 photo resistor
various bread board wires
1 bread board
1 SEEED protoshield kit
1 arduino uno
2 single digit 7seg display
1 mini temp gauge Celsius
various resistors
3 74HC595 shift Registers
3 TIP120 Transister
1 MCP3008 input chip
1 mesmic dual axis accereometer
1 MCP23017 16 i/o
2 L293D Duel H-Bridge
1 1/2" solenoid valve
1 Motor shield
1 soldering iron
2 brushless 12v 400,000RPM Motors

thats just box 1 of 8
the other boxes contain anything from transformers to IR Recievers.

look at this list compared to the first post. and time to help?
only 5 people in this forum gave useful advice AWOL, Kieth RB, PeterH, Rabn21, Robin2... all in different ways they have given me tips and pointers.

now i plan on getting a Raspberry Pi since its just a mini linux pc that can run arduino IDE.

Do you have any idea how much time i spent on this thing? i have learned alot, but sometimes when you need a little extra help there is allways someone who wants to make your day worse by adding useless comments to your threads. Thats ok, but when you say "google gets me nowhere" people still keep saying GOOGLE. granted google loads 1200000000000000000 results in seconds, but you get an old phone with low specs trying to load sites like hobby King, Instructables, Pinterest, wikipedia, ect the pages either 1/2 loaded, take 20 minutes to load, or just gives you an annoying error. Believe me If that was an option, i wouldnt be here. but the creaters of arduino understand that there are such things as poor people who have interests in learning, so they made this really cheap and effective device to helps you create whats on your mind. but in order to make things you need different components and parts. parts that are confusing to those who have never delt with Integrated cuircuts or micro-Controllers. cool thing is i got an arduino uno and an e-book called Getting Started with arduino written by massimo banzi. it teaches you the bare minimum, how to install arduino, how to use the arduino IDE, The blink command and the meanings to the letters like PMW, IDE, I/O ect. but nothing that i asked about in this thread. so i asked and looooook!!!!!

You're selfish, ungrateful, disrespectful and lazy. And a liar depending on your own personal beliefs.

After being told where to go and what to read you can't because you're poor? But then you say things like I'm going to buy a rpi? Obviously you have enough money compared to a poor african living in squalor, so choose your words wisely.

Since you know all the component names, why don't you use your skills to find examples of how to use these components like every other person here!

cj.....whats wrong? he just wanted to know a few things.

sean i dont know how to answer most but i think the i/c thing is for the raspberry pi.

Hey a concern troll, don't see many of those here.

troll? more like bear, im definetly a bear.

Hi seanvll,

Here are some information I think you'll find useful,

( Volume I - DC ) http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/pdf/DC.pdf
Basic Concepts of Electricity, OHM's Law, Electrical Safety, Scientific Notation...

( Volume II - AC ) http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/pdf/AC.pdf
Basic AC Theory, Complex Numbers, Reactance and Impedance, Resonance...

( Volume III - Semiconductors ) http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/pdf/SEMI.pdf
Amplifiers and Active Devices, Solid-State Device Theory, Diodes and Rectifiers...

( Volume IV - Digital ) http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/pdf/DIGI.pdf
Numeration Systems, Binary Arithmetic, Logic Gates, Switches...

( Volume V - Reference ) http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/pdf/REF.pdf
Conversion Factors, Resistor Color Codes, Math References, Periodic Table...

( Volume VI - Experiments ) http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/pdf/EXP.pdf
Test Equipment, DC Circuits, AC Circuits, Discrete Semiconductor Circuits..

You can also check out some video tuts:

I realize that the OP's first message in this thread was rather vague and all-encompassing.

However, I really don't see the need to be rude. Often, the biggest obstacle to using Google is knowing what terms to use, and how to avoid all of the crappy projects that clog the internet. And if you are stuck looking at the internet on a phone, it is worse because everything loads slowly and has to be scrolled around in.

I have a fairly new phone with 4G, and I'd much rather surf the interweb tubes on my laptop.

I run Electronics_101. It is a Yahoogroup. It is there for beginners, intermediate, and advanced. It -is- literally Electronics 101.

AiRgeek, good links.

The US Navy NEETS course material is a free PDF download. It starts with the basics.

http://jacquesricher.com/NEETS/