New Custom Keyboard Firmware - STM32 ARM

Hello fellow members,

I am trying to determine the best way to program an STM32 chip using the Arduino IDE. I am in the process of creating a custom ergonomic keyboard. I wrote my own firmware that utilizes a switch matrix along with the Arduino keyboard library. I am using a pro micro, which sports an AtMega32u4 chip. Everything works great. However, I am told I have to use an STM32 chip for various reasons, including cost.

I chose the STM32F072C8T6 as it supports USB. I already have a Nucleo board with this chip on it. I am trying to decide on how to program this chip. I can go down the route of using Keil uVision 5. This is something I am not experienced at, but I am sure I will figure it out eventually. I have a 'blue pill' board and a Teensy 3.2 and both have Corex-M chips on them. Would I be able to program my STM32 chip with Arduino IDE the same way? Thanks

There are several 3rd party hardware packages that add STM32 support to the Arduino IDE. I believe this is the most popular: https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/Arduino_STM32 This also seems to be a good one: https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_Core_STM32

Unfortunately, neither of those appears to support the STM32F072C8T6. You might do some searching to see if any of the other Arduino hardware packages support that chip. If not, I would suggest you to consider using one of the STM32 chips that already does have support.

Thank you so much @Pert

You're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to be of assistance. Enjoy! Per

Roger is shutting down STM32duino April 27, 2019.

If your project is commercial in nature, I doubt you’d be developing with Arduino so I really question the need to move to an STM32 device. Unless you’re looking to use thousands of units and need to own your development tools, the Arduino IDE and the 32U4 are a perfectly viable option.

I’d recommend spending some time reading up on the status of the stm32dunio environment before undertaking a development project with it. It just looks to me like it’s going to die a painful death at the hands of ST.