New Due seems dead

Just received my Due and connected it to my WIN10 PC through the USB programming connector. Instructions elsewhere in this forum said to go to Tools>Serial Port to select something. There is no Serial Port under Tools in v1.6.6 of the Arduino. There is a Port under Tools but this is grayed out.

When I try and program some example code I get a 'no device found' error message.

I do not know which programmer to use from the selection. AVRISP mkII? This was default.

Was the Due the wrong board for this v1.6.6 ?

Have you installed the Arduino SAM Boards in Tools > Board > Boards Manager?

edkost:
There is no Serial Port under Tools in v1.6.6 of the Arduino. There is a Port under Tools but this is grayed out.

That menu item was renamed a while ago Tools > Port is correct.

edkost:
I do not know which programmer to use from the selection. AVRISP mkII? This was default.

If you're uploading via USB then it doesn't matter which programmer you have selected.

I believe I have installed it.
Tools>Port is still grayed out.

At this point I am suspecting there is something not set up correctly. I have noticed that I am expected to know a lot of undocumented details in order to operate these things; often important details are left unexplained in instructions. For example the Arduino site references Tools>Serial Port but my v1.6.6 only has 'Port'. How is one to know that Serial Port and Port are the same thing? Also the Arduino site does not say what to do if the Tools>Port is grayed out, at least in the area where they reference it in the setup instructions.

I wonder if there are supposed to be any jumpers on the board itself? My Due board has 4 jumper headers but no jumpers installed.

Under Tools>Boards, is there a listing for your board? If not, then it's not installed correctly. If so, and the Port is still greyed out, then you have a driver problem. With the board plugged in, look under the Device Manager and see if you have anything listed under USB. Make note if there is a '!' in one of the icons.

Under Tools there is Board: “Arduino Due (Programming Port)”

There are no exclamation points under the various items listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in my Device Manager. I wonder if this is a WIN10 issue?