new here

i am not sure were i need to go here, i am a n scale model railroader and just picked up the June 2013 issue of model railroader magazine and there is an article in it that some one has used your equipment to control his switch turnouts , i am thinking about doing the same thing once i get a place to build my home layout , i am looking for advice on which units i need and how to hook this up to a dcc (digital command control ) layout, from what i am looking at in one of the photos he is using a uno board. thanks in advance

Well most any of the arduino boards can probably do what you want.

I don't know much about model trains but I know you can get electrically switched turnouts and such, but there's also mechanically activated ones.

I guess it would depend on which kind you were planning on using in your set as to what your controller needs would be. But assuming that youll jsut need digital signals, you can run 13 switches straight off the arduino. Almost infinitely more if you get into using what are called shift registers.

If you could link the turnouts your planning on using, that would be helpful.

What are you trying to achieve? A bit of cursory googling shows that DCC systems can command points and other accessories. What benefit are you hoping to realize by having the arduino do it? I expect a do it yourself rig will be considerably cheaper.

Googling “DCC Arduino” gets quite a few results

Wow after looking into this stuff I never realized how advanced modern train models actually are. (someone out there making bridge rectifier chips must be making some money)

but well so is the OP planning on using an arduino to act as his DCC since those seem to be a bit expensive. Or is it going to work with his DCC to control other things?

I have an Ngauge train. I have recently converted a small loco to battery powered radio control using an Arduino Uno to produce a PPM signal to drive the radio transmitter. I'm happy to provide more info if you are interested.

I am also planning to motorize my points (and maybe signals) using R/C servos which are very easily controlled from an Arduino. There is a special library for controlling servos. Servos are very cheap (£5 or £6) compared to most of the alternatives. They should give you much more control than Tortoise point motors which cost about £14.

...R