New(ish) design NRF24L01+ radio boards available

These NRF24L01+ boards may have been out a while, but I have only recently seen them

Firstly, THIS ONE : it looks like a standard PA/LNA version but with the exceptions that it has no 8 pin header attached - the connections are edge-plated. Also the PCB antenna is a ceramic SM type. I have one of these on order to test, but I quite like the idea of NOT having the antenna externally and if this can provide good performance I may consider this in new designs

The second board HERE looks like a re-design of the standard NRF24L01+ cheapy. as above the header has been replaced with in-line edge-plated connections, the IS is CoB and the crystal now looks like a watch crystal. Other than that I would imagine the performance to be the same, its just nice to see a new alternative ! The older boards of this type were 15x29mm, these seem smaller !

I would imagine they would both be available from AI and Baite at some point

I have only found the ceramic-on-board version available on eBay at the moment

I found the size of the newer ‘small’ board, its an incredible 12x18 !!

and this USB to Nrf24L01 device looks interesting, albeit NOT AVAILABLE YET !

I found the size for the NRF24L01 + PA + LNA ceramic on-board antenna… its 27 * 12 mm !!

There is some more information on one of the new nrf boards (the 12x18 pcb antenna version)

http://ralph611.rssing.com/chan-27708297/all_p2.html

I believe the small 12*18 board to be an alternative to the Nrf24L01, apparently it is a SE8R01 !!

see HERE

and swe-dude has worked on some code for it HERE

I checked EBAY today and found that this NEW board I mentioned (the 12*18 variant) seems to be on there at quite a few suppliers, I hadnt seen them before even though I had checked many many times, so I think this is a very recent thing

Also I found another variant on the 12*18 variant with the edge-plated connections :THIS ONE has a tiny IPX connector for connecting to an external antenna

First design done and PCB made ready to take the new 12x18 (actually 12*19) nrf24L01 boards

I have also found on Ebay that it is cheaper to buy the new version board +PA+LNA+ceramic PCB antenna CHEAPER THAN the standard DIL header version WITHOUT PA or LNA and with an external antenna

Bottom Line.. I am going to wait and test all these variants and see what the difference is between 'similar' spec'd boards

Here are two more variants on the low power simple version (the original larger PCB)

THIS ONE has a SOP16 style microprocessor which I hadnt seen this design before

THIS ONE has the black-blob chip-on-pcb with a the 8 pin header connection, its a bit of a hybrid of another one mentioned earlier

THIS ONE is also quite smart, seems to be a high power one (SMA LNA+PA) with good rf screening

THIS ONE IS EXPENSIVE but looks very interesting as it is based around the edge-plated (newer) design of boards, albeit slightly wider than its 12mm counter-part

I received my new MINI NRF24L01+ LNA+PA with ceramic SM antenna today
Just to show you how tiny it is I took a picture with it next to the previous design equivalent

:slight_smile:

today I received the updated version (on the left) of the standard low power NRF24L01 (on the right)

About half the size !!

Smaller crystal and breadboard friendly header.
Wonder if it still needs external 10uF to be reliably powered.

CrossRoads: Smaller crystal and breadboard friendly header. Wonder if it still needs external 10uF to be reliably powered.

Its a 1.27mm edge-plated connection I am still fitting 10uf as close to the supply as possible, ALTHOUGH.. with this design the Vcc and 0v are at opposite ends of the edge-strip, whereas on the headerpin version they are adjacent to each other.. I wonder if they forgot about this when they designed it, its unlikely they will design another layout like this as this appears on several other new(ish) designs (see examples above)

I have tracked the options for several different types of NRF24L01 board onto one Surface mount design with a ATMega328… its a nice single sided ‘little’ PCB !

mcnobby: Its a 1.27mm edge-plated connection I am still fitting 10uf as close to the supply as possible, ALTHOUGH.. with this design the Vcc and 0v are at opposite ends of the edge-strip

I would like to over-ride this statement

I found several conflicting pinout drawings for the 12*19 modules..

The one I was following had this pin out : [Vcc][CE][CSN][SCK][MOSI][MISO][IRQ][GND]

But this wasnt right, but then I found this: [Vcc][GND][[CE][CSN][SCK][MOSI][MISO][IRQ] which actually seemed more corrent after studying the module I had with a magnifyer

Luckily I can still use the PCB I made as it is just a simple shift and track break

I can confirm that with the board type (as in pic attached) the pin out is

[Vcc][GND][[CE][CSN][SCK][MOSI][MISO][IRQ]

Mine is banging away nicely :slight_smile:

See here, the different variations on the pinouts over the different designs…

nrf24l01-3.jpg

nrf24l01-4.jpg