New member messaging

As anyone who's been here longer than two weeks knows, new members seldom read, and seemingly are not even aware of, the sticky near the top of every topic about 'how to use this forum'. This leads to continual admonitions and nagging from longer term members to supply more, better, formatted, etc. information.

Would it be possible to automatically send a 'welcome' PM to new members and include a link to the how-to page? At least then they wouldn't have the excuse of not seeing it. It *might * even cut into the bandwidth-wasting requests and occasional hard feelings about same.

If this can be done it also wouldn't hurt to include a link to the reference page since there are always "I didn't know I could do that!" or "How do I do that?" replies.

That is certainly one of the better ideas and probably easier to implement than many we have discussed.
Although I did like the breaking of fingers suggestion :smiling_imp:

If you don’t mind I will ask those who get paid to look at it and you may want to suggest it on GITHUB too.

Cannot even remember if I got an email to say my account was approved etc. But it would help not having to post all the stock answers every time somebody has a single post as they “got the email” so no excuses.

Every little helps which is why some stickies at the top of forums were updated recently to cover some of the more “common” aspects.

ballscrewbob:
If you don't mind I will ask those who get paid to look at it and you may want to suggest it on GITHUB too.

Mind? Go for it! Let's hope it's considered favorably.

I don't know from Github so that's a non-starter.

dougp:

Although using Git and some of the related aspects of GitHub may be a bit confusing at first (though very much worth the effort to learn), submitting bug reports and feature requests to the GitHub issue trackers is very easy. It does require a GitHub account, but that is free and very easy to sign up for.

Here's the issue tracker for reporting bugs or submitting feature requests specific to the Arduino Forum:

The Arduino developers don't all monitor every post here on the Forum, so the person capable of fixing a bug or implementing a feature request might never see it if it's only posted on the forum. The are much more likely to see it in the issue tracker. The trackers are also much more effective at preserving and organizing issue reports. Things posted here on the forum get buried and forgotten fairly quickly.

dougp:

+1

The Arduino developers have a perfectly good platform in this Forum for communicating with their customers.

If you complain about a Big-Mac you won't be sent across the road to Burger King to file the complaint.

...R

LOL you have used that one or very similar before Robin.
Think my reply was along the lines "but you may be sent to the complaints department"

"GITHUB" being the complaints department in this case.
However as also mentioned there are some extra employees prowling the forums but as yet they are super noob and very timid creatures.

Something that I do expect to see change in 2020 as it unfolds.