New member needs simple motor control help

Hi,

I need to make a simple motor control apparatus for the following application.

There is a 5 pound weight on a vertical track. When it touches a switch on the bottom, it activates a motor to pull it up off the switch just enough to clear it. The weight then stops there until other forces push it down, and the process starts all over again.

I'm sure this is super easy for anyone with a basic knowledge of stepper motors, but I am so new to this field, I barely know where to start. I would like to just buy a simple setup with the motor, control unit and the switch. Is that available anywhere? Or is there a book for people that explains the very basics of how to build a unit like this? I do know a little about the mechanics of installing a motor and a rack and pinion or a lead screw, but I don't know much about stepper motors. Hope someone can tell me where to buy the whole system alrady complete.

Larry

I may be missing something here, but since you have a switch and a motor, why don't you use the switch to switch the motor?

There is a 5 pound weight on a vertical track. When it touches a switch on the bottom, it activates a motor to pull it up off the switch just enough to clear it. The weight then stops there until other forces push it down, and the process starts all over again.

You need to give more details about your requirements as its not very clear what you are trying to do. Once the motor raises the weight what holds it in place, the stepper motor? If the “other forces” then push down on the weight overcoming the stepper motor and causing it to slip that is not a good idea. When the weight hits the switch what causes the forces to be removed? Are the forces removed and applied quickly or slowly?

Why do you use a motor at all, why not have the weight on a vertical track held in place by a spring?