New microcontrollers

So i've have been teaching myself arduino and, of course, at some point one wants to get the sketch out of the arduino board and make it a flying solo project.
So my question is this. in 2018 what are the more reliable avr's, are the attiny85, 2313, 4313 and of course the mega's here to stay or do we have better options now?
as i know nothing about assembly language i have found that burning a bootloader into and avr is very convenient for most of us rookies.

thanks and have great holidays everybody

What do you mean by "reliable"?

pert:
What do you mean by "reliable"?

well, i have a setup on an arduino protoshield to program the attiny 2313 and 4313. i bought altogether like 14 of these and i could only burn bootloader and program half of them. of course i've looked all over the net and everybody seems to think that the problem is that they doesn't have an external crystal. but i tried with external crystal too. when i contacted the sellers, they recommended me to "format" the chip. which i have no idea what it meant. i dig a bit and i think one needs a high voltage programmer? (i got the chips from chinese vendor (might just be that the avr's are faulty)

so i guess what i mean with reliable is, what microcontrollers show to work most of the time with just setting up the cables well, getting the correct boards.txt information and just hitting "burn bootlader" and shift+upload.

This is either user error or bad chips. There's nothing specific to the particular AVR models you chose that will cause you a problem. If you get bad chips or use them incorrectly, you'll have trouble no matter which microcontroller you chose.

pert:
This is either user error or bad chips. There's nothing specific to the particular AVR models you chose that will cause you a problem. If you get bad chips or use them incorrectly, you'll have trouble no matter which microcontroller you chose.

i get that. is there a way to know which one is it? bad chips or user error?

Buy some chips from a reputable seller. For example:

Then you'll know for certain the chips are good. If you still have the same trouble, then you'll know it's user error.

pert:
Buy some chips from a reputable seller. For example:

Then you’ll know for certain the chips are good. If you still have the same trouble, then you’ll know it’s user error.

thank you, will do

do we have better options now?

Define "better"? Most "newer" chips are not available in the hobbyist-friendly "DIP" packages :frowning:
I'm disinclined to buy chips with less than 8k of flash space any more.
I like ATmega8 and ATmega32 as "cheap" old chips (from China), maybe ATtiny1634 or one of the other 8k+ tiny-with-uart chips (available in SOIC, so not TOO bad for soldering...)
The SAMD51 chips are very nice...

Your work area is also important, learn about ESD precautions and how to not damage devices. There are some natural materials that dissipate charge fairly well (wood and cement without a finish for example). Don't set up on a shag carpet (or any synthetic material) and expect the chips to survive.