New music visualizer idea using MSGEQ7 chip to detect mood and beat

Hi all, I'm a beginner to electronics and I was hoping for a little bit of guidance on my project.

I want to create a music visualizer, similar to a spectrum analyzer, out of a rectangular matrix of LEDs that will react to music similar to the visuals in this video: Kina- can we kiss forever (bass boosted) - YouTube

In my matrix of LEDs I'm hoping to control the "height" that the LEDs light up based off the beat/bass (lower frequencies = base = more vertical lights), the "length" along the matrix will be controlled by volume of the music (louder music = more horizontal lights), and the colour of the music I was hoping to code using a combination of information from the frequency and volume (for example, loud and low frequency sounds would be party music and thus the colour will change to, say, purple or blue). Really crappy idea diagram attached as a .png

My question is, is my idea even possible? Would I need one MSGEQ7 chip to read frequencies and a microphone to read volume intensity? Any feedback/guidance would be greatly appreciated, as I only have a basic grasp of electronics.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

matledoublev:
Hi all, I'm a beginner to electronics and I was hoping for a little bit of guidance on my project.

My question is, is my idea even possible? Would I need one MSGEQ7 chip to read frequencies and a microphone to read volume intensity? Any feedback/guidance would be greatly appreciated, as I only have a basic grasp of electronics.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

The idea 'sounds' highly possible.

Beginner in electronics, work with a predefined Audio Analyzer module, like a DFR Sound Analyzer module, and a sound module instead of trying to build the devices from scratch.

The MSGEQ7 gives you the intensity of 7 different frequency bands and what you do with that depends on your imagination (and the number of LEDs you want to wire-up, etc.).

A regular "real" [u]spectrum analyzer[/u] shows intensity (loudness/amplitude) vertically and frequency horizontally. Color isn't required to show all of the information (a real spectrum analyzer is a measurement instrument) but of course it can enhance a visual effect.

I did a quick YouTube search and [u]here[/u] is a "classic" spectrum analyzer effect made with the MSGEQ7.

My question is, is my idea even possible? Would I need one MSGEQ7 chip to read frequencies and a microphone to read volume intensity?

Typically you'd use a microphone or and electrical signal.

The MSGEQ7 works from a line-level audio signal (like the analog audio from the RCA jacks on a CD/DVD player or TV, etc.) or a headphone-level signal. (It can also work from a low-power speaker connection.)

And like I said, it gives you 7 intensity levels. One for each frequency band. It's similar to having 7 VU meters.

If you wanted to use a microphone to pick-up acoustic sounds you'd need a preamp or you can get a "sound sensor board".

Idahowalker:
The idea 'sounds' highly possible.

Beginner in electronics, work with a predefined Audio Analyzer module, like a DFR Sound Analyzer module, and a sound module instead of trying to build the devices from scratch.

Thanks for the reply. I've done a bit of research on electronics so I'm familiar with how an arduino works, and basic electric circuits theory and programming. I do want to build the circuit from scratch as a bit of a challenge for myself; would you be able to suggest what parts I need to purchase?