New project displaying NMEA code

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out it it's within the realms of a college student's budget (or arduinos capability) to read NMEA data strings and display them on a LCD screen.

My project idea was to make something for quick trouble shooting of NMEA circuits. So I would have the arduino set up with an LCD screen, I would put to jumper wires on the the NMEA talker output and have the code appear on the screen.

I know it's more professional, and maybe easier, just to carry a laptop and use hyperterminal but I liked the idea of having something that could fit in my pocket that I could just carry around with me just to quickly diagnose if code is coming from the equipment, say GPS/Radar/Echo sounder etc.

Do you guys know if it's possible to do this with arduino? Any help or feedback would be appreciated

It'd be a large screen, but it's doable.

Schamak: Do you guys know if it's possible to do this with arduino? Any help or feedback would be appreciated

The LCD screen is a bigger challenge for the Arduino than parsing NMEA data.

NMEA data are ASCII chars sent line by line, each one max. 80 chars.

So a char array of 81 chars would be enough to handle NMEA data with an arduino as a string.

As Arduino boards typically have 2 KB = 2048 Bytes of RAM (or more), the NMEA part is not the limiting factor for such an application.