New project involving video.

Hi Community,

I have been researching, and I've gotten the information that the arduino can't handle enough bandwidth to transmit video feed from any source, i just want to know for sure if this is real.

and if this is true, does anyone know what other processor can i use that is able to do this.

My project is targeted into baby monitoring with video and audio.

Thanks

i just want to know for sure if this is real.

Yes it is real.

Try the Raspberry Pi or the Beagle board, both run Linux.

My project is targeted into baby monitoring with video and audio.

Why do you need a processor at all?

What exactly are you wanting to do with video and audio?

If you want to overlay lo-res information on an existing analog video stream, that can be done. If you want to do any higher processing, or generate higher resolutions, then you want to move to another platform. The overlay can be be done with the Video Experimenter shield: http://nootropicdesign.com/ve/

Lo-res video game graphics can be done with the Gameduino: http://excamera.com/sphinx/gameduino/

However, my sense is that for anything more complex, you want to consider other platforms. Grumpy Mike listed Rasperberry Pi, which is still in limited distribution. My sense is that there currently isn't much for off the shelf software for it. One big problem is the video processing is not open source, and so a lot of the video processing would be slooooow.

You could go with several of the other ARM embedded boards, such as BeagleBone, Simplecortex, Mbed. I don't know much about them.

Another possibility is the Parallex Propeller, which probably is more setup for video processing. http://www.parallax.com/propeller/

Another possibility is getting a PC in a small form factor to use, instead of an embedded processor.

Android tablets might be another possibility, but I'm not sure how easy is it to add apps to a general tablet.

Grumpy Mike listed Rasperberry Pi, which is still in limited distribution.

No you can order them now, and more than one at a time as well.

Grumpy_Mike:

Grumpy Mike listed Rasperberry Pi, which is still in limited distribution.

No you can order them now, and more than one at a time as well.

Ok, I stand corrected on that. Thanks for the update.

I do suspect that high end stuff will be slow unless you can use the video co-processor. The problem is the programming of the co-processor is under NDA, so the Linux drivers are restricted in what they can do. I suspect the OP may not need to be doing hi-def programming, so doing the processing on the ARM instead of the co-processor, may not be an issue.

as i said in my first post, what i am intending to do is a baby monitoring device, and i want to see if i can connect the feed to internet so i can see it from my smartphone.

pato_llaguno: as i said in my first post, what i am intending to do is a baby monitoring device, and i want to see if i can connect the feed to internet so i can see it from my smartphone.

What's wrong with the internet enabled baby monitors already in place? Or any IP camera for that matter?

pato_llaguno:
as i said in my first post, what i am intending to do is a baby monitoring device, and i want to see if i can connect the feed to internet so i can see it from my smartphone.

You didn’t mention internet or smartphone in the first post, so I had no idea what you wanted to do. I figured you wanted to do some extra processing, within your house.

In this case, I believe you just want to get a web cam that can broadcast to the internet and not have to deal with an embedded processor trying to pump the bits out there. A typical term to look for with google/yahoo is nannycam.

well, the ones already on the market are pretty expensive, about $200 so i wanted to use that as an excuse to get there and play with some of my toys :)

raspberry might be a solution, i am indeed doing some research on it.

thanks

pato_llaguno: well, the ones already on the market are pretty expensive, about $200

You can get a wireless webcam for about a tenth of that price. Nothing wrong with doing it as a project just because you want to, but if the end result is your priority then making a DIY video sender doesn't look like a sensible route to take.