new project / wine bottles w sound&light

Hey,

I'm planning a new project. Ten wine Bottles shall be hanging in a row, where one can be "played" with a drum stick or the like. The playable bottle contains a microphone and a led, the other bottles contain leds and micro-loudspeakers, where the initial sound shall be spread (perhaps randomly) with some delay, also blinking the led of the "active" bottle. I've never worked with arduino-processed sound before.

Do you think, this project can be realised using only one arduino? What do you think about the project? Is it too simple? It shall be exposed in the entrance hall of a wine bar.

thanks in advance,
armin.

Do you think, this project can be realised using only one arduino? What do you think about the project? Is it too simple?

Maybe more difficult than you think… The Arduino doesn’t have much memory, so the delays may not be possible. If you “generate”, or play-back pre-recorded sounds, that’s actually easier.

You’ll need a preamp for the microphone and you’ll need to bias the audio signal because the Arduino can’t handle the negative-voltage swing of an AC audio waveform. SparkFun sells a little [u]microphone breakout board[/u] with a microphone and all of the required electronics.

Once you’ve detected sound, it’s simple to activate an LED.

On the sound-output side, you can generate simple tones directly with the Arudino, or you can get an [u]audio shield[/u] to store & play MP3 or other audio files.

You’ll also need a little amplifier to drive the speakers.

You can fit external memory and have 5 to 10 seconds of audio delay. I show how to do this in my new book available only as an eBook at the moment.
http://www.apress.com/9781484217207

Chapter 15 is the one most relevant to this project.

thank you!

I've decided to change my concept a little. The initial sound shall be delayed a little using arduino and then be spread to the other bottles in an analog way, using amplifiers and microphones:

[(sound), initial bottle (A)] - [arduino delay (A')] - [bottle 2 loudspeaker (A')] - [bottle 3 loudspeaker (A')]......

how many amplifiers will I need? I wanna use small loudspeakers to put them inside of the wine bottle. Any Sparkfun-proposal? And which amplifier do you recommend?

Thanks in advance