New series of language tutorials

I have recently published some new material intended to help people master Arduino programming.

It is at...

http://sheepdogguides.com/arduino/FA1main.htm

The tutorials do NOT cover "setting up", but they should be helpful for novices or intermediate Arduino users.

They are probably more useful as a "course", to be followed through, as you might read a book, rather than as a collection of "how to"s to dip into.

The "grand finale" is an Arduino based access control system.. full sourcecode is provided.

Let me know what you think? Hope you find the material useful.

I had a look and just for your info where you say:

Furthermore, I THINK that there's a way to, in effect, "press the insert" key... without actually doing that. Whatever the explanation, from time to time I find myself in overwrite mode, which I almost never use, when I don't expect it. I think it may be something to do with using backspace (delete?) when the shift key is down.

It is when you press the INSERT key on your keyboard it enters overwrite mode...

Also maybe a bit of funky page formatting might help. There is OSWD if you want a free template :D People are often put off by a blank formatted page (unless they are the retro or hardcode coder type!)

Mowcius

SoftwareSerial myLCDSerial = SoftwareSerial(rxLCDPin, txLCDPin);

This line that you state you don't know exactly what it does.

It states that it is relating to the SoftwareSerial library. Then it names your virtual serial interface (myLCDSerial). Then it states that the library is using rxLCDPin and tcLCDPin as its rx and tx pins for the virtual serial port (these pin numbers are defined further up) - on the SoftwareSerial library the first is the rx and second is the tx. Therefore you could just do:

SoftwareSerial myLCDSerial =  SoftwareSerial(7, 8);

and completely do away with:

const byte txLCDPin=8;
const byte rxLCDPin=7;

As the serial LCD does not need a rx pin (no tx from it) you often just set rx to the standard board rx eg:

SoftwareSerial myLCDSerial =  SoftwareSerial(0, 8);

There is also a new software serial library called NewSoftSerial which has a few improvements on the original SoftwareSerial library.

I may have a few other comments once I have read a bit more through it ;)

Looks good at the moment though :D

Mowcius