New spam detection in place - have you been banned?

There is no account of that name registered.

When did you make that account?

My account has been banned

Please copy and paste the banning message.

Quarter should be the account name

Well, what name are you trying to log on under?

Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum! spam This ban is not set to expire.

i got the following message when i tried to access http://forum.arduino.cc/

The IP address you were using (123.231.122.165) emits a steady unrelenting stream of spam. Use a different IP address. Request your internet service provide terminate the miscreant's account.

That IP address is located in Sri Lanka. It is on quite a few spam blacklists. Complain to your ISP that by allowing spammers to use their service, other users who are legitimate are penalized.

I can log in using my ipad but not my pc.

What browser are you using? I'm not getting any menu bar with IE11, had to click on the avatar of another poster to get the forum to bring up the login screen just so I could log in.

Chrome on both devices. I get the login screen but on the pc the forum will not recognise me.

Now workingThanks

I still have no menu items, just a big green block.

Dont choose the big green block from the menu ...its gone off and is mouldy

My preferred browser is Chromium but using Chromium on Linux Mint I now receive

"Sorry stowite, you are banned from using this forum! Sock puppet. This ban is not set to expire."

but I can login using Firefox!

I would like to be able to go back to using Chromium and would be interested to know what triggered my ban!

stowite: I would like to be able to go back to using Chromium and would be interested to know what triggered my ban!

Clearing browser cache (and restarting Opera) worked for me to get rid of the "ban".

IMHO just a caching problem and no real ban.

Best

I can always ( at 12h 47 UT +2 ) login with from my PC (Debian 8.7 Jessie). But since this morning I can't login from my tablet (android 6.0) --> Bad login or password Firefox in two case. I have cleared Android browser cache.

terraduino: Clearing browser cache (and restarting Opera) worked for me to get rid of the "ban".

Best

I cleared the Chromium cashe and that made no difference. I then used BleachBit to clear everything from Chromium and that too made no difference.

EDIT : I have just cleared Chromium history again and now it seems to be OK ! But why was I banned in the first place?

@stowite

They are implementing a new sign in system and doing some overall upgrades to the forum so some glitches are to be expected.

My account, vinceherman, was banned.
I would love to know what behavior triggered the ban so I do not do it again.banned.png

I don't think you should feel singled-out - judging by the logs, this is (wrongly, IMO) happening to an awful lot of people right now, myself included.

terraduino: My account, vinceherman, was banned.

To clarify, no it is not banned :) Just a misleading error message.

terraduino: Clearing browser cache (and restarting Opera) worked for me to get rid of the "ban".

Best

Just to tie things together; here is a link to a discussion of the unwarranted banning problem, on Github:

I posted about my experience there, and other people have joined in.

Short version - if you get this message, clear your browsers cookies:

"
Sorry (username), you are banned from using this forum.
Sock puppet
The ban is not set to expire
"

Yes - it really does say “Sock puppet”, it’s not a picture of one.

That may be enough. I also cleared a few other things while I was there:

"The actual step I took in Waterfox (same thing as Firefox, pretty much) was to go to History, then Clear Recent History. I had Cookies, Cache, Offline Website Data and Site Preferences all ticked, and no others, and the “Time range to clear” set to Today.

I then just refreshed a tab where the sock puppet ban message was showing, and it went away."

(that bit’s copied from a post I made in that Github thread).