new to Arduino and processing, need help with project

Hi everyone, I'm new to all this, I was in Radio shack looking for some other options for a project I've been working on for sometime. When I saw this I thought wow, that should do what I want. I bough the getting started book and a kit with an UNO. Now I'm really dangerous. I've had to call Dell twice in three days for my computer locking up.

Ok, for the project. I have a remote control receiver that has two ports. when I push the appropriate button on the remote transmitter the port on the receiver sends out 9 volts for up to 3 seconds. I use this system to activate an actuator that releases an object. So with this setup I can activate two actuators(one from each port). I'm trying to figure out how to activate four actuators, one each time I press the button using only one of the receiver ports, then I can use the other receiver port for a different device. the plug I use for the receiver port is a phone jack, 2 wires, the actuator I'm using is a two wire also good for up to 12V. They work fine with the 9V charge.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Brad

How far through the 'Getting Started' book have you got so far ?

BESBO: I'm trying to figure out how to activate four actuators, one each time I press the button

Trying to get a clear idea of what you want... Press the button once, select actuator 1 Press the button twice, select actuator 2 Press the button three times, select actuator 3 Press the button four times, select actuator 4 Press the button five times, back to actuator 1 No button press for (say) 5 seconds...fire the selected actuator. Or do you want all four firing in sequence?

Magicj: How far through the 'Getting Started' book have you got so far ?

I went throught the entire book twice before I plugged it to the computer. The. Did all the examples. I made it to the section about driving bigger loads on page 68, there is a diagram but no code. This is where I stopped. I wasn't sure if I would need the MOSFET but the sequencing was a big issue also. Thanks for the interest and any suggestions you might be able to give me to get started. Brad

Henry_Best:

BESBO:
I’m trying to figure out how to activate four actuators, one each time I press the button

Trying to get a clear idea of what you want…
Press the button once, select actuator 1
Press the button twice, select actuator 2
Press the button three times, select actuator 3
Press the button four times, select actuator 4
Press the button five times, back to actuator 1
No button press for (say) 5 seconds…fire the selected actuator.
Or do you want all four firing in sequence?

Yes each button press would select a different actuator. The fifth would go back to #1. Time between activation would vary. Maybe 5 seconds maybe an hour.

Thanks
Brad

BESBO: Yes each button press would select a different actuator. The fifth would go back to #1. Time between activation would vary. Maybe 5 seconds maybe an hour.

Then you need to look up the blink without delay example in the IDE (Go File > Examples > 02.Digital > blinkwithoutdelay) and understand it. You'll also need to look up 'Finite State Machine' (Google it) and switch..case in the reference section. of this site.

Henry_Best:

BESBO: Yes each button press would select a different actuator. The fifth would go back to #1. Time between activation would vary. Maybe 5 seconds maybe an hour.

Then you need to look up the blink without delay example in the IDE (Go File > Examples > 02.Digital > blinkwithoutdelay) and understand it. You'll also need to look up 'Finite State Machine' (Google it) and switch..case in the reference section. of this site.

I'll work oN it today. Thanks Henry. Brad