New to arduino.....board might be defective?

So I bought an arduino board and tried setting up a simple circuit with a blinking LED. The LED on the board is functioning and I installed all the software and anything but unlike in the video the LED that I connect to the bread board doesn't blink. I'm pretty certain everything was connected right. To be sure I skimmed through the starter guide online and tried a couple of other things they have as starter projects and then I tried 2 of my own things but it didn't work. Does this mean either the arduino board or the breadboard I'm using is defective?

The Code
/*
Blink
Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

This example code is in the public domain.
*/

void setup() {
// initialize the digital pin as an output.
// Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards:
pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
digitalWrite(13, HIGH); // set the LED on
delay(1000); // wait for a second
digitalWrite(13, LOW); // set the LED off
delay(1000); // wait for a second
}

The Arduino board has its own LED on pin 13 - is it blinking without anything hooked up, with that sketch (the blink sketch)? If it isn't, then somethings wrong.

If it is - then did you put an appropriate current limit resistor between the LED and the pin? Also, are you sure the LED is connected right (btw, got a link to the guide)? Did you try switching the leads on the LED (an LED is polarized; it will only work properly when connected one way)?

Just some things to check...

:slight_smile:

The link to the guide is here
http://oomlout.com/a/products/ardx/circ-01/
Yes, I put a limit resistor between the LED and the pin. Yup, I connected the LED the right way (switched it around just to be sure).

Does the led on the arduino blink at the correct rate? (or at all...)

It doesn't work at all. Same as it was before I uploaded the program.

Which starter kit did you get?

Defective boards to exist, so it might be that.

More likely, you didn't upload the code correctly. Did you install the ftdi drivers? did you select the right com port? did you select the right board?

The board is the Arduino Uno and the breadboard is here

Yes, yes, and yes.

The Arduino board has its own LED on pin 13 - is it blinking without anything hooked up, with that sketch (the blink sketch)? If it isn't, then somethings wrong.

you did'nt reply to that one does the default led on pin 13 blink continiuosly after you ypload the sketch ?