NEW to Arduino: camera+ controlled 3D mirror acting surfaces

Inspired by Daniel Rozin and his mechanical wooden mirror that consists of 830 square pieces of wood, 830 servo motors, control electronics, video camera, computer and a wooden frame.
( Interactive art with wooden mirrors - The wooden mirror (1/4) - YouTube ) I have decided to apply that idea on architecture and create a water-mimicing surface using solar pannels.

As a part of my technical dissertation I would have to test the idea and actually build a prototype that I plan to be much smaller than the Daniel Rozin one. I would like to try creating a version that has only 4-10 surfaces that could work with different colour variations and still get each one of them to change its possition according to that.

As I have never done any computing or used servo motors I would really appreciate any help that you can give me on that:

What type of survers would you suggest I use?
What type of camera if that matters (mainly the size is a concern I think due to the smaller scale of what I want to try to build)
Any refferences I could look at?
Any comments on the programming part?
Is anyone also providing classes or payed tutorials in London area as the project is urgent?