New to Arduino (LED/LCD Menu Timer Project)

I am a fairly new user on Arduino; and I have tasked myself with a project that involves using and LCD screen And buttons to maniuplate a menu that will allow me to set timer for and LED to turn on for a set time and while it runs, an RGB LED to glow Purple while it is lit. When the LED has turned off the 2nd (Notification) LED will turn Green.

Being new I am wondering what will really be necessary for this project to come together device wise. I have browsed and built a few menus from the web; finding things I like about each one. What is the bare minimum to connect all that. At least 3 buttons.. LED and RGB LED, and the LCD.

I just bought a LCD Shield (on its way) because that seemed necessary to free up some space on my breadboard. Plus it having the built in buttons seems like exactly what I need.

Thoughts on where I should start with code? Will it be some code mastery level stuff or will I be able to kind of muck through it?

Will it be some code mastery level stuff or will I be able to kind of muck through it?

Your requirements are as clear as mud, so I'm afraid that you'll do no better with the coding.