New to Arduino! Need help with an Overwatch prop: Mercy's Staff!

Hi!

I’m making a Sigrun Mercy cosplay and for the staff I want to make the 3 things on the end to stay closed, open half way, and open all the way. I’ve asked around and have been advised to look into using arduino! I’ve been looking at a lot of intros to arduino to try to get more familiar with how it all works. If anyone has any advice or guidance that would be amazing! :smiley:

Thank you!

Hi, Maybe YOU know what your're talking about, but we have No Idea.

What IS this stuff??

Hi,
this is the staff…

1e50a0702e7c40c773fd0689a87f5228a247cf2e.jpg
Did you google?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeoNtc3W93s

Tom… :slight_smile:

I would think that the mechanics would be the hard part, but an arduino driving a servo should let you automate the opening of the staff.

A small spring to keep the staff closed, and the servo at 90 deg would pull it open half way. Moving the servo to 180 would fully open it, using a string across some pulleys for an actuator.

You may not even need the spring, depending on the mechanics.

Do a google search for arduino servo and you will find roughly a gazillion matches. Play with the arduino and the servo to understand how it works. Then work on the mechanics. You might want two servos directly driving each side.

Question is: How well do you fit that costume? :astonished:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
this is the staff…

1e50a0702e7c40c773fd0689a87f5228a247cf2e.jpg
Did you google?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeoNtc3W93s

Tom… :slight_smile:

I’ve seen that video. My problem isn’t making them spin, it’s making those things on the end open and close. Thanks for the help though! I’ve got some good stuff to work off of :slight_smile:

nathancamp:
I would think that the mechanics would be the hard part, but an arduino driving a servo should let you automate the opening of the staff.

A small spring to keep the staff closed, and the servo at 90 deg would pull it open half way. Moving the servo to 180 would fully open it, using a string across some pulleys for an actuator.

You may not even need the spring, depending on the mechanics.

Do a google search for arduino servo and you will find roughly a gazillion matches. Play with the arduino and the servo to understand how it works. Then work on the mechanics. You might want two servos directly driving each side.

THANK YOU! :smiley: This is actually super helpful! I’ll play around with some things and keep doing research. You’ve pointed me in the right direction! I’ve got a good jumping off point now :smiley: Thanks!