New to Arduino, Need help with parts to add in kit!

Hello, I’m new to Arduino and I would need some guidance from the community here on it.

I’ve only been recently exposed to Arduino through my school’s ICT program and senior’s projects for science projects or fairs. I have basic knowledge on Arduino and simple electronic parts and I’m able to create simple projects with LEDs, Potentiometers, Piezo buzzers and some assorted sensors on breakout boards.

Having completed those basic projects with an Arduino Mega clone and a small kit of basic parts, I feel like I should get to the next level of understanding by using parts not available in my basic set like capacitors, diodes, transistors, various ICs etc. I’m not sure what parts I should get next for deepening my understanding of electronics and Arduino.

Currently my small kit has the following parts:

One Arduino Mega Clone
One USB Cable
One Small Breadboard
Ten Male to Male Jumper Wires
Ten 5mm Red LEDs
Ten 5mm Green LEDs
Ten 5mm Blue LEDs
Ten 5mm Yellow LEDs
Two 5mm RGB LEDs
Ten 220 ohm Resistors
Ten 1K ohm Resistors
Ten 10K ohm Resistors
Five Push Button Switch
One Potentiometer
One Alphanumeric LCD (16x2 Characters)
Two Photoresistors
Two Temperature Sensors
One Tilt Sensor
One Servo Motor
One 9V Battery Plug for Arduino

Additional parts

5 Piezo Buzzers (KPEG164)
Additional Male to Male Jumper Wires
DHT11 Temp + Humidity breakout board
SR-04 Ultrasonic Sensor
GY-30 BH1750 Light sensor Lux breakout board *

From other sources online and from some forum posts here it seems I would need to add:

-Large size breadboard
-Additional Resistors
	-1k Ohm, 4.7kOhm, 10kOhm, 100kOhm **
-Capacitors
	-100 uf
	-0.1 uf
-Diodes
	-1N4148
        -1N4001
-Transistors
	-2N3906 PNP
	-2N3904 NPN
	-Mosfet IRF520
	-Phototransistor
-Potentiometer
	-10k trimpot, Breadboard friendly ***
-Regulators (x1 each)
	-LDO 3.3 V ****
	-LDO 5 V ****
-IC (x1 each)
	-555 timer
	-L293D H-bridge motor driver
	-Comparator LM339
	-74HC14 Hex Inverting Schmitt Trigger
-Etc
	-Op-amp LM358
        -Small DC motor

Please advise me on what parts should I change, add or remove to this list before I buy them from my Arduino sources in Singapore *****. Thanks!

Doubledoge

Sidenotes

• This sensor breakout isn’t working well for me. I’m confused as to how to use this with my Arduino Mega clone, even after looking at tutorials on this online
    ** These values weren’t included in my kit and these values seem to be used in many projects as well. I’ve heard of resistor kits that have 1% 1/4W or E6/12 assortments in them but I feel it might be too many for me to use… or not?
    *** The one in my kit doesn’t fit on to my breadboard too well. It looks like the one in the attachment but the blue, breadboard friendly potentiometers with an arrow on the knob that my school uses as well in teaching Arduino seems a better choice for my projects.
    **** I’m not sure of the exact part numbers/codes for these.
    ***** Most parts can be acquired locally here in Singapore but if there is a necessity to order parts not available here I will order them from Sparkfun, etc if ultimately neccessary.

What do you want to make? That seems to be the first question.

I am always amazed (and delighted) by the huge number of things people on the Forum use Arduinos for that I have never tried and probably have no interest in.

...R

e.g. look for building something with a motor (DC) or stepper motor involved. You can combine the motor project with different sensors (think of moving the motor faster/slower depending on temperature, light etc.) Your Arduino won't be able to drive the motor directly, so will need in addition - a separate (external) power supply - a transistor or MOS FET to drive the DC motor (a stepper driver in case of having to drive a stepper) - at least one diode (DC motor) to protect your electronics against back EMF from DC motor

@ Robin2 Thanks for replying!

I'm trying to make a water management system with an Arduino as part of a school project. Currently I've already gotten some sensors to use as part of this system such as the DHT11 breakout, the GY-30 light intensity lux sensor and the SR-04 ultrasonic distance sensor. Their purposes are s to feed data from the current conditions of the environment and water into the serial monitor or into another data collection point to be able to be used to construct a graph and get some conclusions.

The DHT11 is meant to give data on the current surrounding conditions of humidity and temperature. The GY-30 is meant to measure the light intensity between an amount of water and a fixed light source to gauge the pollution in the water (in my example, pond water which conditions change occasionally). The SR-04 is meant to gauge the water level by getting a reading and let the code do a subtraction from the deepest point in the water body where the sensor is pointed at. (Max depth - reading = water level)

As I'm still new to Arduino, I might not be able to understand or know how to do some things yet, therefore I'm looking for advice on the forums here :)

@ rpt2007 Thanks for replying!

rpt007: e.g. look for building something with a motor (DC) or stepper motor involved. You can combine the motor project with different sensors (think of moving the motor faster/slower depending on temperature, light etc.) Your Arduino won't be able to drive the motor directly, so will need in addition - a separate (external) power supply - a transistor or MOS FET to drive the DC motor (a stepper driver in case of having to drive a stepper) - at least one diode (DC motor) to protect your electronics against back EMF from DC motor

As I'm still new to Arduino, I may not be able to understand some concepts or things that well. To drive the DC motor, what kind of external power supply is needed? Is the cable to computer / battery to arduino enough? Would it be easier to understand the circuit if I used a H-bridge instead of transistors to drive it? Where in the circuit would the diode be placed?

Doubledoge:
I’m trying to make a water management system with an Arduino as part of a school project. Currently I’ve already gotten some sensors to use as part of this system such as the DHT11 breakout, the GY-30 light intensity lux sensor and the SR-04 ultrasonic distance sensor. Their purposes are s to feed data from the current conditions of the environment and water into the serial monitor or into another data collection point to be able to be used to construct a graph and get some conclusions.

Rather than ask a very open question like

what parts I should get next for deepening my understanding of electronics and Arduino.

I suggest you set about developing your water management project and if you get stuck with some part of it you can then ask a specific question.

May I also suggest that you keep all the questions related to a single project in the one Thread as that makes it easier (for me, at least) to maintain a good overview of the project.

…R

Thanks for replying!

I'll take your advice for that. If I need any help for the code or parts on this project, I'll make a new thread. Thanks for contributing.

Doubledoge: If I need any help for the code or parts on this project, I'll make a new thread.

I was specifically trying to suggest NOT to start a new Thread but instead to stay with this one for this project.

Of course the final decision is up to you.

...R

If you want to go with the water management project it might be an idea to modify the original headline of this thread according to the then main content/subject of this thread.

Depending on the scale of your project, you may only need a bunch of water level sensors, small electrical water pumps, an arduino, some wire, and some tubing.

SQ