New to Arduino Project Question

Hi all,

I'm very new to the world of Arduino but very interested. I'm wanting to start a project but wanted to see where I could find some basic information on limitations (white paper or FAQ) with Arduino hardware and programming.

Specifically, for this project, I want to know if I can variably adjust voltage output based on an input... (ie.... Input=1 therefore Output=10, input=2 therefore Output=20). I'm hoping to adjust the voltage for a motor based on an input value... if it can be done, that's all I need to know and I'll figure out the rest or at least, get more specific with programming questions.

Cheers and thanks all, really digging this stuff...

-Dray

Hi!
Nice to see a new member exploring the Arduino world. There’s lots of fun but also quite some things to learn.
One good way to start is to buy one of those kits containg several sensors and guided examples “how to do it”.

Producing an analog voltage is not so easy. For controlling things like moros, DC motors, PWM is used. That stands for Pulse Width Modulation. That means that the controller is pulsing out full power during a short piece of time. It’s very effektive in order to awoid hot driver/power stages.
Give us data about the motor, voltage, max current etc, Then we can give You more precise advice.

I'm wanting to start a project but wanted to see where I could find some basic information on limitations (white paper or FAQ) with Arduino hardware and programming.

Your best bet is to search for what you want to do. For example you can search for:-
Arduino motor speed control.
And that will bring up a load of hits. The main problem is that there are lots of different kinds of Arduino making some of them more suited to some tasks than others.

You have to keep in mind that all the different types of Arduino are basically controllers and not computers. What might seem easy, or at least common things to do on a computer or smart phone are not necessarily easy to do with a controller.

Controllers are good at controlling things like motors, LEDs music players and so on. They are also good at reading sensors, like temperature, humidity, touch sensors, pressure and tilt sensors and so on. What they are poor at is most things to do with video or sound recognition. This is mainly due to the very limited amount of memory they have. However the fun and inventiveness comes in combining sensors with actuators, like having strip lights on each tread of a stair case whose colours change with the outdoor temperature.

Asking here is a good way to find out things. For example you thought you controlled motors by changing the voltage drive to them, but that is not how to do it. You learned about a thing called PWM. I wrote a page on that here:- About PWM

We don't mind answering questions over and over, because we realise that when you are starting out it is hard to generalise and see that many things that sound different are actually the same.
We do mind about asking the same question in different parts of the forum, this is known as cross posting.
So if you haven't then please read this:-
How to use this forum