New to Arduino, question about starting in Arduino

Hello,

I am new to arduino, I have watched some videos online and motivated me to start. I had some experience on microcontroller but it was 10 years back. I forgot a lot !

Anyway, I have been advised to get a package from ebay which contains several equipments and tools I may need. I found this package:

ebay.com/itm/arduino-uno-r3-starter-kit-motor-servo-RFID-Ultrasonic-Ranging-relay-Temperature-/161052884612?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

My questions: What else do I need as a beginner ? I have to make my order one time to save shipping cost (shipment via DHL) I was thinking to get 4x4 keypad and Joystick. what about sensor shield ? which version should I get ? v5 ? Should I get anything else ?

Another question, what is the system voltage ? I see in ebay, some are selling with 4xAA battery case, other are selling 6xAA case and some are selling with 9v battery adapter.

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. I had to search for "arduino-uno-r3-starter-kit-motor-servo-RFID-Ultrasonic-Ranging-relay-Temperature" to find it. Which seller are you buying from, what else does that seller offer?

Where are you located that DHL shipping is needed? Update your profile to show that.

Hello CrossRoads,

Thanks for your response. Yes, it is nice package... I have not checked all other items in seller store.

I need it to be shipped to Kuwait... what about my questions, any hints ?

@kettaneh:

Why not purchase one (1) real Arduino rather than a clone... This ensures that you are not derailed by Chinese clones that "are not" identical. A portion of your purchase price supports this forum.

Then, purchase inexpensive components to match your interests. It will cost you a bit more but the experience will be superior. Additionally, all of the official documentation and examples WILL work and minimize any frustration.

• Ray

I did not know that it is a clone ! off course I would love supporting Arduino community... event if I did not purchase this time, I will later either by by arduino, components or even books.

kettaneh: Another question, what is the system voltage ? I see in ebay, some are selling with 4xAA battery case, other are selling 6xAA case and some are selling with 9v battery adapter.

The Uno runs internally on 5V. However there is a voltage regulator on board which expects 7 to 12V input. Plugging in a 9V adapter (into the "power in" plug) or the output from 6 x AA batteries should be fine. 4 x AA would be slightly low for the power-in plug and slightly high for connecting directly to +5V.

Thanks Nick for clarification .. Does it takes power from USB ?? I saw some videos over youtube, both are connected, USB and Power adapter .. will this affect on the board ?

Yes it can take power from USB. You can connect USB and a power adapter at the same time.

What is the benifit of connecting both USB and battery at the same time ? more amp ?

or can use one of then (e.g. battery) for motors and servos (need more power) ?

There is an autopower switching circuit. If Vin/2 is > 3.3V, then power comes from Vin. Otherwise, power comes from USB.

kettaneh: What is the benifit of connecting both USB and battery at the same time ? more amp ?

or can use one of then (e.g. battery) for motors and servos (need more power) ?

You are better off power motors and servos directly without putting the power into the Arduino and then getting it out again. The pages on working with motors should explain that.

@CrossRoads @nick

Thank you both .. it is clear now.