New to Arduino, running into an Error

Hello all :smiley:

So for a while I’ve been interesting in electronics but never actually bit the bullet until now, and when I went into Radioshack they told me that Arduino was a great place to start due to ease of use.

I’ve been using the tutorial at Bucky’s Room (https://buckysroom.org/videos.php?cat=106&video=20666) and have gotten to Video 2, but keep running into an error whenever I try to compile the program (The program from the first video worked perfectly).

The program is:

int ledPin = 13;
int switchPin = 8;

void setup()
{
  pinMode(switchPin, INPUT);
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
}

void loop()
{
  if(digitalRead(switchPin) == HIGH)
  {
    digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
  }
  else
  {
   digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
  }}

and the error I’m getting is:

Serial port (Com1) not found. Did you select the right one from Tools → Serial Port menu?

Binary sketch size: 1,076 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)
processing.app.SerialNotFoundException: Serial port ‘COM1’ not found. Did you select the right one from the Tools > Serial Port menu?
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:191)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:77)
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:77)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1666)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1622)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1594)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2382)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Any help would be appreciated :smiley:

(deleted)

I don't know how to select any Com Ports =(

the "sheed" where you rode the sketch on top you can see "tools" there you can select your serial port und check if selected the right board

I go to Tools and see Board (Which is selected at Arduino Uno, which is what I am using) and Serial Port , which I cannot click on.

But, totally obvious (to those who already know), you need to know what port the Arduino is using. Go to Control Panel, and then Device Manager on your computer. Under Device Manager, look at "Ports(Com &LPT)". One of these entries should tell you which port the Arduino is using. Then go to Tools in the Arduino Sketch Writing program and select the correct port for your Arduino hardware.

Sweet, I got it running.

Thanks guys :smiley: