New to Arduino

Hi all,

I'm new to Arduino. For my first project I want to make my light switch on and off with a clapper.

What will I need to buy for this project, and also is there any current guides I could use?

I was also checking out Arduino's in a store, they didn't seem to come with a USB wire to connect/code to my laptop. Is this needed? If so, should it come with the Arduino or do they sell them separately.

Can I also code a Arduino with Embedded C? Or is it just any other type of C/language?

The Arduino Uno and Mega use a standard USB cable to connect to a PC. You probably already have one at home. If not they are widely available.

The Arduino is programmed in C++ and the Arduino IDE takes care of a lot of the background housekeeping to make programming very easy. You should download the Arduino IDE onto your PC and then you can study the many example programs. You don't need an Arduino to write and compile programs. Of course you do need an Arduino to run the programs and test your code.

What is a clapper?

...R

The basic concept of the Arduino clapper is in several online searches… as a newbie w/ Arduino you will need to familiarize yourself with Google Search.

This is a representative version:

and Instructables has a few… remember, Google first.

I would only ask that you enlist the assistance of someone with AC electrical knowledge to assist you with the connections between the relay/SCR and the lamp/receptacle , etc. This is NOT a time to venture out and attempt to muck with AC… it will kill you, start a fire, or both.

I was also checking out Arduino’s in a store, they didn’t seem to come with a USB wire to connect/code to my laptop. Is this needed?

If you want to program the Arduino from the USB port on your PC, then you need to buy a cable.

Can I also code a Arduino with Embedded C? Or is it just any other type of C/language?

Technically, Yes. The Arduino Language used in the IDE is eventually converted to C/C++ and compiled via AVR-GCC.
This is an approach: http://www.javiervalcarce.eu/wiki/Program_Arduino_with_AVR-GCC
Many other examples exist, just search.

Do be careful. You want to live long enough to enjoy your hobby; I repeat, AC will seriously hurt you or perhaps kill you or perhaps start a fire.

Ray

What is a clapper?

It must be an American thing... although I always thought it was probably bigger than that. There is a cute little jingle to goes with the TV commercials in the U.S.

salut! J’ai besoin d’aide pour un projet. je veux commander un compas en utilisant la arte Arduino UNO. mon problème est que je n’arrive pas à communiquer avec mon compas. j’ai procédé comme suit:

char valeurbyte[28];
int graus = 0;
int compteur = 0;
byte valeur = 0;
//const int RX = 0;
//const int TX = 1;

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

#define rxPin 10
#define txPin 11
// set up a new serial port
SoftwareSerial mySerial = SoftwareSerial(rxPin, txPin);

//softwareSerial serial1 (10 , 11);
void setup()
{
Serial.begin(19200);
pinMode(rxPin, INPUT);
pinMode(txPin, OUTPUT);
mySerial.begin(19200);
}

void loop()
{
lecture();

}

void lecture()
{
/*valeur = 0;
mySerial.write(0x1B);
delay(500);
mySerial.write(0x56);
Serial.println(mySerial.read());
delay(2000);
}

je dois envoyer les commandes suivantes sà mon compas:
V // pour avoir la version du compas utilisée
X 1 // pour avoir l’angle.

quelqu’un peut m’aider s’il vous plaît à trouver l’erreur

mrburnette:
The basic concept of the Arduino clapper is in several online searches... as a newbie w/ Arduino you will need to familiarize yourself with Google Search.

This is a representative version:
iManoj Tech: Arduino clapper
and Instructables has a few... remember, Google first.

I would only ask that you enlist the assistance of someone with AC electrical knowledge to assist you with the connections between the relay/SCR and the lamp/receptacle , etc. This is NOT a time to venture out and attempt to muck with AC... it will kill you, start a fire, or both.

I was also checking out Arduino's in a store, they didn't seem to come with a USB wire to connect/code to my laptop. Is this needed?

If you want to program the Arduino from the USB port on your PC, then you need to buy a cable.

Technically, Yes. The Arduino Language used in the IDE is eventually converted to C/C++ and compiled via AVR-GCC.
This is an approach: http://www.javiervalcarce.eu/wiki/Program_Arduino_with_AVR-GCC
Many other examples exist, just search.

Do be careful. You want to live long enough to enjoy your hobby; I repeat, AC will seriously hurt you or perhaps kill you or perhaps start a fire.

Ray

Thanks!

I didn't realise it would be such a big issue, but thanks for your safety tips! I just wanted to test it out to be honest.

To begin Arduino coding, and make some experiments (not the clapper thing) what would you suggest for a kit? Remember: Im a total newbie.

Top left kit here

has lots of stuff. We donated a couple to our local charter school with our book.
They were thrilled. Haven't checked in to see what they're doing yet.

To begin Arduino coding, and make some experiments (not the clapper thing) what would you suggest for a kit? Remember: Im a total newbie.

It solely depends on where your interests are… there are many kits available but if you are not into servos or stepper motors, that investment is lost and they become a paperweight. If you are more interested in electronics, you are likely better to purchase the parts you need on a per project basis provided you live in an area where everything does not require payments for shipping… they add up quickly.
Just look at the kits contents and contemplate if you would use the part. Then look at the total price. Make a decision.
I do not like kits that are open-ended like the Arduino stuff. I love project kits that complete with a final, useful item.

Ray

You can look through the Exhibition area of the forum to get some ideas. Look at Instructables and search on Arduino to get some ideas. Some of my stuff is here: http://www.hackster.io/rayburne
Few of us have an unlimited budget, so if you can buy a kit and use most of the parts, that is likely a good investment.