New to Arduino

Hello all,

I am new to the Arduino project. I am in the process of ordering an Uno board and a couple additional items. I have a friend that is really into RC airplanes and wants to add a 3 LED's to it with an alternating strobe effect. He wants 1 LED to blink twice fairly quick, turn off and then blink the other the same way and than continue back to the first LED. He also want a single LED to do nothing but blink on and off every second or so.

After looking at the code for the basic LED setup, this looks really easy to do. However, making a board using the same chip that is used on the Arduino board itself is overkill. I know that Atmel makes a small 8 pin MCU but not sure which one to use let alone how to program it with the Arduino and the Arduino software. All I need are 4 outputs. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

powertek:
However, making a board using the same chip that is used on the Arduino board itself is overkill. I know that Atmel makes a small 8 pin MCU but not sure which one to use let alone how to program it with the Arduino and the Arduino software. All I need are 4 outputs. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Does it really matter that there’s some spare pins…? Maybe you’ll think of a use for them when you start building and see how easy it is.

If you’re worried about weight there’s much smaller boards available.

How about an attiny? They are a couple of bucks cheaper. Arduino (IDE and language) can be used with most of the AVR series.. though the bootloader may be become cumbersome on small chips. Check in the "Other Hardware" section, and a look through the Playground sections, there are number of minimalist implementations which can save you a few dollars on the build.

To program it, you would use an ISP programmer.. luckily, an Arduino can be used as an ISP programmer.. it's even a selection in the IDE as I remember.. so you won't need to purchase a programmer, all you need is a few scraps of wire.

You can get ATMEGA328PU for under $5 usually, maybe a buck less for 168. For projects that simple, don't even use a resonator or crystal, the internal clock will be good enough. I think that brings the requirements down to the chip itself and a couple of capacitors..

Hello guys!! My name is marianna and i am totaly new to arduino projects. For my dissertation i need to fix a wireless system that will measure up enviromental temperature and will send the data back to the computer in order for them to be kept in a file, but i dont know exactly what parts i have to use. (arduino board + xbee + lm35???) (if it all worked in zigbee it would be perfect). So i am asking for you help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could someone please help me out???????/

Welcome to powertek, Adrien8100, and mariannadimou.

@mariannadimou, Please post a new topic for your project. I am sure we can help you out.

Hi, I am also new to arduino. I want to be able to program an Arduino chip using an FT232 cable, just like I do with PICAXE and the AXE027. Is this possible and which cable do I need and what would the connections? I would like to use a cable like the AXE027. Thanks

Hi davidbraith, welcome.

Quoting the man above ... Please post a new topic for your project. I am sure we can help you out. [/quote]