new to forum but where to start!! ws2812b strips

Delete or move to appropriate forum if I’ve posted this wrong or in the wrong place as this is my very first post on this form…… haha wish me luck!!!

I’m new to Arduino but I’m very cluey so I don’t think it should be to hard haha. Sorry if these are easy questions but I’m new and I couldn’t find a search feature for the forum plus there’s heaps of youtube videos but they don’t exactly answer my questions directly :(

I’ve got a Mega2560 and I’ve installed some code on it with a 5m ws2812b strip and it was fun to play around with changing the code making different patterns etc… so that worked great!!!

My questions are:

What are the differences between the boards? Like project code wise? If I have code that works on a mega2560 can all boards run that? How do I know if it wont run? I don’t want to get a nano only it not to run the code!!!

I see some are called developer boards, are they similar to all the other boards?

I know they have different processing powers and more pin outs etc…. But can a nano run all projects? Most projects? Small projects?

I’m looking at making some ws2812 strip figurines etc…. and I was wondering if a nano would be powerful enough? Some items will have 15m of strip with 60leds per meter and would like to connect up a strip that has about 1,000 leds per Arduino board, Is that to many leds for a nano to run?

How do I know what boards can run what?

Thankyou so much guys!!! looking forward to expanding my knowledge here :)

Domin8or: What are the differences between the boards? Like project code wise? If I have code that works on a mega2560 can all boards run that? How do I know if it wont run? I don’t want to get a nano only it not to run the code!!!

The Resources/Products section gives details of all the Arduino boards.

There are significant differences between boards - for example a Mega has 4 hardware serial ports and a nano has only one. A nano is an Uno in a smaller package so shields that fit on an Uno won't work with a nano. Some of the boards only work with 3.3v. Some of the boards use much faster microprocessors that are very different from the Atmega family on the Mega, Uno and nano.

Many of the Arduino specific functions (such as Serial and digitalWrite() ) will work on all the Arduino boards - but only within the scope of the hardware on the board.

TLDR: there is no simple answer to your question. It depends on the program and on the specific Arduino boards.

...R

You only need 1 output pin (depending on how many other I/O pins you need for other things). It needs a 5V data pulse so you should use a 5V Arduino.

and would like to connect up a strip that has about 1,000 leds per Arduino board, Is that to many leds for a nano to run?

You can run out of memory depending on how many LEDs you're controlling and how/if you are storing various patterns. Otherwise, the data is daisy-chained and buffered so you are only writing to the 1st LED in the string and the data is passed-on from there.

Power is a consideration with lots of LEDs... Those milliamps add up! And with a 5M strip, you generally need to provide power to both ends and somewhere near the middle. (Those can all go to the same power supply, but you need separate wires because there is a voltage drop if you rely on the foil conductors built into the strip.)

Thankyou so much for your replies!! :) Yes they are tough questions as there's many variables. yep I'll run power every 3-5 meters as it won't be at full brightness anyway. so a nano would run up to1,000 ws2812b in a strip? or can you run an even smaller one? like the tiny chips? There will be up to 15 patterns in the code like all red, all blue, all green, rainbow, meteor chase, individual led running along the strip etc..... see I don't know how much processing power I need for the code. cheers :)