New to hardware hacking...

Hey all, I'm pretty (actually, very) new to hardware hacking. I've made an LED light up, spliced a wire and hooked up a spekker to it, and probably the most advanced thing I've done is take a volume knob and a on/off switch and hook them up in series to control a LED light. I haven't done anything that requires any sort of logic in the circuit.

I've recently acquired quite a few speakers from a broken tv, and I want to create a stereo system with eight speakers in total. Four on the left, four on the right. I need a system to filter out certain frequencies for each speaker (higher frequencies for the larger speakers, lower frequencies for the smaller ones).

I want to know: 1. how hard would it be to do this with the arduino (if you even can do it), and 2. how hard would it be to implement this, but by creating a wireless system for the speakers?

Thanks for any help.

To divide the sound, you want something called a crossover. You can read here http://www.lalena.com/Audio/FAQ/XOver/

1. It wouldn't make sense to do this with an Arduino. What you're asking for is an analog circuit and the Arduino is a digital controller.

2. The wireless system would have nothing to do with the way the sound is distributed among the actual speakers. Again, the question doesn't really make sense.

To do wireless audio and have it sound right is extremely hard to do, there's many things that can interfere or distort the sound, and a stray piece of wire on your transmitter can ruin the sound quality. It's an advanced branch of electrical engineering, and it's much better to buy a commercial solution for that part of a project.

It wouldn’t make sense to do this with an Arduino. What you’re asking for is an analog circuit and the Arduino is a digital controller.

I see. I just thought that the sound could be fed in, and it could be programmed to send the corresponding frequency that each speaker needs to it.
But the circuits on the page you showed don’t seem that complicated, so that seems like it would be overcomplicating things.

The question then is fed into what? The arduino doesn't have an audio input. It's a digital device with a few lowish res, low sampling rate analog to digital converters.

Even if you could get the audio data into the chip it doesn't have the processing power or hardware math support to do the sort of signal processing you're talking about.

It wouldn’t make sense to do this with an Arduino. What you’re asking for is an analog circuit and the Arduino is a digital controller.

I see. I just thought that the sound could be fed in, and it could be programmed to send the corresponding frequency that each speaker needs to it.
But the circuits on the page you showed don’t seem that complicated, so that seems like it would be overcomplicating things.

i would have to concur with oracle, a crossover will accomplish your original goal best… however, you might also simply send tones to individual speakers, rather than having to attempt to use the arduino for analog/digital conversions - this is why cubase/sonar/pro-tools require a LOT of hardware…

i’m not at home, so i don’t have this in front of me, but this book offers good insight into electronics for musicians: http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Projects-Musicians-Craig-Anderton/dp/0825695023… the “home made” compressor is very cool… can’t recall, but maybe there’s a crossover project… you might also look into equalizer designs if audio is of interest to you…

good luck,
isaac