New to programming

Hi, So I am relatively new to Arduino and programming. I started to learn JAVA. But I know arduino only uses C and C+ or whatever. How can I program in java with arduino. If not how can I make a bridged program. that could communicate with the c program on the arduino. Also any guides to programming that a beginner like me can easily follow and actually LEARN? :smiley:

I don't know if there's a JAVA compiler for the ATmega chip. JAVA isn't supposed to be a compiled language. ( i.e. Your JAVA executable file isn't machine language.

Please, Just stick with C/C++. The Arduino IDE is very easy to use with the Arduino bootloader. Any other development system is going to be MUCH more complicated to set-up, especially if you are not experienced in that sort of thing. I've used several different compilers/development systems (for other platforms, not for the Arduino) and my goal for the 1st day is always to get it installed, configured, and "Hello World" working. With the Arduno, it only took me about 15 minutes to download, install, and get the blink example running... Amazing!!!!

Once you've learned one programming language, the 2nd one is easier. You already know the basic concepts of variables, conditional branching, functions, and loops.

Also any guides to programming that a beginner like me can easily follow and actually LEARN?

Start with the [u]Blink Example[/u]. It's basically "Hello World" for the Arduino (without the text display).

Then look through the [u]Language Reference[/u]. There's not much to the core Arduino C/C++ language, so it won't take long to review it.

Then, take a look at some of the other examples, especially anything related to what you want to do with your Arduino.

Since there is no text display, the Serial Monitor is very helpful for debugging. You can use it to send variable values or messages to your computer. The [u]DigitalRead Example[/u] uses the serial monitor.

DVDdoug: Once you've learned one programming language, the 2nd one is easier. You already know the basic concepts of variables, conditional branching, functions, and loops.

Agreed, and you already understand the concept of breaking down your task into small steps.

The basic concepts and syntax of Java are so similar to C++ that you should find it very easy to pick up C++ at a basic level. Just stay away from classes, templates and so on until you have got the basics under your belt.

If you know a programming language already, Arduino should be very easy to learn. I would suggest using the Arduino language guide on the Arduino web page. And to interface Arduino with Java, you would need some very complicated software.