new to this stuff and confused...

Im new to Arduino...javascript:void(0);

So i need some help figuring out what im going to need to build the device i want...

The goal is a simple lighting controller for my fish tank. I dont need all the added stuff like some people have...

I need to control 6 things and i assume they are like channels? So CH 1 Fan CH 2 Florescent Light #1 CH 3 Metal Halide #1 CH 4 Metal Halide #2 CH 5 Night Time LED CH 6 Florescent Light #2

Now i know that this is really simple to do but im not sure what all is involved can someone help me

Thanks

Matt

You really don't need an arduino just get 1 power source and 6 on/off switches. connect all the things to the power supply and put switches in between them. If you want it to be automatic replace the switches with timers... karma?

Yoy may want to get a relay board like below and have the arduino control it.

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/elec/ck1601.htm

Carnyworld:
You really don’t need an arduino just get 1 power source and 6 on/off switches. connect all the things to the power supply and put switches in between them. If you want it to be automatic replace the switches with timers… karma?

I currently use timers and they are a PIA to deal with and keep set, and if there is a power outage well thats a entire new story… they are bulky and obsolete…

zoomkat:
Yoy may want to get a relay board like below and have the arduino control it.

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/elec/ck1601.htm

This Is Awesome, I saw this on and liked the idea, the question now is what Arduino should i get and how should i set it up??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eight-8-Relay-Board-AVR-PIC-Arduino-DSP-8051-5V-/110638270391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c28e07b7

By the looks of it, it can probably be controlled by a Duemilanove or Uno. I would power it via usb or usb wall plug since it requires 5v.

Carnyworld: By the looks of it, it can probably be controlled by a Duemilanove or Uno. I would power it via usb or usb wall plug since it requires 5v.

Ok thats not a problem, i have a few usb chargers laying around, i think i am going to use the Duemilanove in the event of future expansion...

Becareful using things rated for USB. The spec says each relay's driver draws 72mA. If you turn on all 8, that is 576mA.

Just make sure whatever power source you use, can supply a good chunk of current.

Ok, So I Have My Duemilanove, A RTC And My Relay Board. Using The Blink Sketch I Can Make My Relays Click On And Off, Now Whats An Easy Way To Program The RTC?? The Code That Came With It Wont Upload... And I Just Need Simple Code For My Relays Telling Them What Time To Start And Stop.. I Think I Could By-Pass The RTC And Tell It To Run Each Relay For So Mant Seconds (10 Hrs is -36000sec) But When There Was A Power Outage it Could Make A Mess...

Any Advice???

Thanks

Any Advice???

Yes - sort out whatever is wrong with your shift key before you post stuff.

AWOL:

Any Advice???

Yes - sort out whatever is wrong with your shift key before you post stuff.

LOL, sorry its usually how i type :~

sorry its usually how i type

Looking at your earlier posts, it isn't.

AWOL:

sorry its usually how i type

Looking at your earlier posts, it isn't.

My earlier posts were made from my phone and its a PITA to capitalize the beginning of each word... I dont even notice that i do it on the computer unless someone points it out..