new UNO, error writing

Hey, i have a brand new Arduino Uno, and IDE running version 1.7.8 running under windows 10. Yesterday experimenting went fine, today i get an errors as below.... It's the LEO ECHO example running on Arduino UNO with Ultimate GPS Shield on top. If i take the shield of today, downloading goes well, if i leave it on, i get errors....

Build options changed, rebuilding all avrdude: stk500_getsync(): can't communicate with device: resp=0xfc

Sketch uses 4,114 bytes (12%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes. Global variables use 389 bytes (18%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,659 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes. avrdude: stk500_getsync(): can't communicate with device: resp=0xfc

Solved my own stupidity!!! One of my kids tampered with the shield late last night, and set the switch to the DIRECT-position...I just noticed! This obviously resulted in the programming error, since the error dissappeared after resetting the switch...

Please LOCK this topic...

supafly1975: Please LOCK this topic...

I don't think they do that, the recommended action when the issue is solved is to edit your original post (the first one in the thread) and add "[solved]" to the subject line.

One thing to note is that 1.7.8 indicates you are using the arduino.org IDE rather than the arduino.cc(this website) IDE. They are two separate versions maintained by two different companies.