new uno r3 wont verify/upload anything

Hello all,

been scouring google for a couple days now and havent found a solution. heres the details
-Uno r3
-IDE 1.6.11
-Mac os x 1.7.5
-using port dev/cu.usbmodemfa131
-I get good loopback echoes
-Upon initial plug-in of the device it comes with blink loaded on it, however when i try to upload (or even verify) any other sketches (including ALL of the examples) it get the following error.

Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Thanks

Enable verbose compile in preferences and post output here.

I've never seen that error before.

Never heard of Mac OSX 1.7.5 …

What kind of Uno - original, clone?
If clone - what chip is on board, CH340?

If so, did you install the osx driver for that?

Thanks for your interest in helping. i had to cut the error msg down due to too many characters.
-correction: os x 10.7.5
-bought from Arduino website

Thanks again!

Arduino: 1.6.11 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: WInterrupts.c.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: hooks.c.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: wiring.c.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: wiring_analog.c.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: wiring_digital.c.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: wiring_pulse.c.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: wiring_shift.c.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: CDC.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: HardwareSerial.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: HardwareSerial0.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: HardwareSerial1.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: HardwareSerial2.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: HardwareSerial3.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: IPAddress.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
Linking everything together...
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: PluggableUSB.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: Print.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../av/bin/ar: Stream.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
"/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc" -Wall -Wextra -Os -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=atmega328p -o "/var/folders/lc/_61r55z15jb3jgbt9gx1swnc0000gn/T/build12f3b5e7faef20ffbc0c5c0205d2c2a6.tmp/Blink.ino.elf" "/var/folders/lc/_61r55z15jb3jgbt9gx1swnc0000gn/T/build12f3b5e7faef20ffbc0c5c0205d2c2a6.tmp/sketch/Blink.ino.cpp.o" "/var/folders/lc/_61r55z15jb3jgbt9gx1swnc0000gn/T/build12f3b5e7faef20ffbc0c5c0205d2c2a6.tmp/core/core.a" "-L/var/folders/lc/_61r55z15jb3jgbt9gx1swnc0000gn/T/build12f3b5e7faef20ffbc0c5c0205d2c2a6.tmp" -lm
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: Tone.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: USBCore.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: WMath.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: WString.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: abi.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: main.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar: /var/folders/lc/_61r55z15jb3jgbt9gx1swnc0000gn/T/build12f3b5e7faef20ffbc0c5c0205d2c2a6.tmp/core/new.cpp.o: plugin needed to handle lto object
/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ld: /Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../libexec/gcc/avr/4.9.2/liblto_plugin.so: error loading plugin: dlopen(/Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../libexec/gcc/avr/4.9.2/liblto_plugin.so, 2): Symbol not found: _environ
Referenced from: /Users/matthew/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../libexec/gcc/avr/4.9.2/liblto_plugin.so
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Strange indeed.
It seems that the Arduino is recognized, but something is going on in the compiler looking for things that can't be found at the right locations. At least my humble first shot feeling, no real investigation...

My immediate reaction:
Uninstall the Ide and re-install it. Then give it another try.

Oh, second view: a plugin seems missing. Do you have the latest java installed?

3rd view:
It seems that somebody else had the same problem, OS unknown, but apparently solely related to the Arduino environment.

You can read the way to the solution here:

Good luck. Start with this solution, although it is the 3rd recommendation.

007 I updated java and no luck. i will try the link you provided.
Thanks!

YYEEESSS!!!! It worked! your the man 007. I hope the universe gets you laid tonight my friend! haha
Thank you!

Congratulations!

What exactly got it up and run?
Just for others who come here with the same issue - was it the link in the reply #6?

So this solution:

try to install Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.11 using Boards Manager and be sure to not update from Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.11, even if the IDE shows an updatable boards notification

?

The instructions in the link were spot on. had to go to boards manager and install 1.6.11 with that you must turn off auto updates in preferences so IDE doesn't override your actions every time you open it.
Worked beautifully

Great, thanks for the feedback. I am sure thus you also made the day for many others with same issue.