New UNO, Windows7Pro avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie and I just bought a new Arduino Uno.
I m trying to upload the "blink" example and I get the following error message.

C:\Users\Alexis\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\Alexis\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Alexis\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_825936/Blink.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\Alexis\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino9/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM3
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x04
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x04
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x04
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x04
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x04
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x04
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x04
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x04
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x04
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x04

avrdude done.  Thank you.

On the Uno it's written made in Italy.
I use Windows7Pro. In Tools> card type is "Arduino/Genuino Uno" and Port:"COM3 (Arduino/Genuino Uno)", but "Serial Port" is in grey.
In the Windows Device Manager I have "Ports(COM and LPT)> Arduino Uno (COM3)"
Nothing is plugged to the board except the USB cable.

What I've tried :
-restarting everything : nothing changed.
-checked forums to see if my problem is happening to others : indeed... but most of the time I don't understand the answers and I don't want to mess things up, so I'd rather have a specific answer corresponding to the problem than trying things I don't understand.
-use the reset button while uploading : works : led L is blinking. (I would like it to work without having to do that each time...)> my conclusion is that there is just a small initiating sequence that is not working so I'd like to find a way to fix it.

Thanks for reading.

Are you plugged into a USB 3 port?

Do you have another cable to try?

Hi! Thank you.
I've tried what I think are USB 2(black) and 3(blue), they gave the same result. I'll try it on another computer this afternoon and I'll borrow a cable.

Hi!
So I've tried on another PC and another USB cable, that works for another Arduino, and the result is the same. Something strange is the baud rate. It is 9600 in the windows device manager and 115200 in the Arduino soft....

fab85:
Hi!
So I've tried on another PC and another USB cable, that works for another Arduino, and the result is the same. Something strange is the baud rate. It is 9600 in the windows device manager and 115200 in the Arduino soft....

Baud rate in Windows Device Manager is nothing I have ever changed.

Hi,
Thanks fo answering. No I didn't change it, I just see that it's different from the one in the upload screen.
Is there something wrong with the board?

Have you tried rebooting your PC?

Hi :slight_smile:
That's what I meant when I said :"restarting everything".

-use the reset button while uploading : works : led L is blinking. (I would like it to work without having to do that each time...)> my conclusion is that there is just a small initiating sequence that is not working so I'd like to find a way to fix it.

You can load a sketch by using the reset button? Like changing the blink interval on the blink sketch?

Hi!
Thanks.
Yes that works fine. So the board is "functional" but I have to use the reset button each time, which is not how it supposed to work right?
The seller "lex...nic" said to do the classic things but didn't really take account of what I said and I have no news since a week.

On a regular Uno there is a Reset-EN right at the end of the crystal. Just a pad that the trace can be cut to kill the auto reset. Check yours out real close and make sure the pad hasn't been cut. If it has, a swipe with a soldering iron will close it again.

Hi! Thanks.
It's hard to tell but if its not cut its very very thin. Not like yours which you can see easily with the naked eye. So that might be the problem. Problem is I don't have any soldering tool and that I do believe the seller won't take it back once I've started to temper with it.

You could short the pad as a quick check or just return the Uno for another one as I think you have shown the Auto Reset function is not working.

Hi! Sorry for my late response. I'm not sure about what you mean by autoreset. I don't think I can return it since the vendor (lex...nic) doesn't respond.

fab85:
Hi! Sorry for my late response. I'm not sure about what you mean by autoreset. I don't think I can return it since the vendor (lex...nic) doesn't respond.

The auto-reset circuit makes it so you do not have to use the reset button when uploading sketches. You did not say whether or not you actually tried to short the Reset-EN pad while trying to upload a sketch.

A quick check with a DMM would also tell you if the pad is open.

Hi!
I finally got time to get back to it. The vendor ( lextronic) replaced the arduino uno and sent me a prepaid envelop to send back the other one. Not a dime to pay. The card they sent me worked immediately.