New USA store released

Hi Arduino amazing users

After the Arduino Day we decided to release a lot of new products/improvements of our ecosystem. I am proud to announce the release of a brand new USA Arduino Store with a lower shipping rate for USA and a new interface.

Some products will be released in USA store only.

We plan to release a new product or App feature every month for the next few months. More info in our blog soon.

Great.

Took one day to decide this and have it up and running.
I’m happy to see the forum will be fixed before this Easter.

There are 7 pull requests waiting for moderators approval. They should fix many issues. We are also planning to merge again with SMF codebase. will see next week.

Thank you.

I’m with @Mas3 on this.

I doubt if we are alone in preferring it if the development effort could be put into fixing and supporting the Forum.

…R

Switch to software that DOES work :smiling_imp:

Ok let me explain a bit more

"Took one day to decide this and have it up and running", no it took few months of work to have it as it is now.

You can help us testing features or keep complaining about it. Some users report/help us in testing the forum, others just complains.

About 10 bugs were fixed today Github Issue Update

But you can always say we are not supporting the forum.

mastrolinux: "Took one day to decide this and have it up and running", no it took few months of work to have it as it is now.

We knew it took months.

We would have preferred those person-months to have been spent fixing the Forum.

...R

Some users report/help us in testing the forum, others just complains.

And, the majority of users spend a lot of their volunteer time to keep YOUR forum viable and try to keep its quality to a high standered while recommending your products.

We will be always thankful to collaborative users. They are the largest part.

We made mistakes but now the fixes are visible. Everything we announce that should be nice (like having a faster and more convenient shipping conditions on the new store for USA users) is an excuse to attack us in some way about the forum.

I just announced 10 bug fixes on the forum. Other good news: Few hours ago we hired for the next six months (at least) the developer who is responsible for the forum fixes (his name is Matteo).

There is more to do but complaining on every post I write does not help.

mastrolinux: There is more to do but complaining on every post I write does not help.

Simple solution to that write more posts.

And your comment sounds as if you are dismissing the complaints as a PITA rather than something you should be dealing with. Customer service !

...R

I posted that with reason. On the end of the working hours day of march 30, you told that after the Arduino day (march 28, this year) you (not personally, but as some group) decided to add some new products/improvements to your ecosystem (whatever that may mean). And you announced the release of the new US site.

But there is no feedback anywhere on this forum on any progress of fixing the mess up of this forum unless a bunch of people complain about it.

I am here to support Arduino stuff and be supported by other members. I am not here to look for links about debugging this forum mess on some github site i'm not interested in. You can't expect regular forum members (or even moderators if you ask me) to do that. And i'm not here to debug SMF crap that was sold (even if there was no money exchanged) telling this would be the salvation from all forum trouble in the past.

I do understand and appreciate you must be working very hard to get things fixed. But i really can't appreciate a store site that seemingly was put up in a single day while a huge heap of crap is still to be cleaned from this forum.

And i would like to see a new thread, announcing improvements every time they are finished, i'm sure other members would agree. That wouldn't need to be a lengthy post, just a quick overview of the improvements.

The github link I gave you is exactly a summary of the fixes and improvements and deserves a different post. This one was indeed on the store.

The point is we fixed many forum bugs while working on the new store.

And again any critics is appreciated in the right or a separate thread (there are at least 2 threads about forum issues) , just not every time we announce anything, going every time OT.

I will be glad to discuss store issues here and happy to reply to forum issues and questions in the proper thread or via PM.

Thanks

MAS3: And i would like to see a new thread, announcing improvements every time they are finished, i'm sure other members would agree. That wouldn't need to be a lengthy post, just a quick overview of the improvements.

Great idea.

And I agree 100% with the rest of your Post.

...R

I think I've fallen out of the "top poster" category, but I still find the Arduino Forum to be among the best-organized, best-designed, and most useful Forums that I read. The recent forum software upgrade may have been a net loss for users, but it seems to have gone a lot better than (say) the recent avrfreaks forum SW upgrade, and that was a lot worse starting out... (and avrfreaks is supposedly an official Atmel site...)

It is good that mastrolinux is posting regularly here. I am glad they have hired Matteo for at least six months. Some fixes are in the pipeline and hopefully more will be as well.

We have had some frustrations in the past, but let's put those behind us and move forwards with a positive frame of mind.

Just today I added a new bug report to GitHub about some (slightly obscure) thing that doesn't work for moderators. But frankly, this is the way to do it. Lodge a formal bug report or feature request. This is the place to do it: https://github.com/arduino/forum-issues/issues/

Back on topic, it sounds good that products are available from a USA store. This should make it easier for the (presumably large number of) users who live in the USA to get their Arduinos promptly.

[quote author=Nick Gammon date=1427853891 link=msg=2166654]Just today I added a new bug report to GitHub about some (slightly obscure) thing that doesn't work for moderators. But frankly, this is the way to do it. Lodge a formal bug report or feature request. This is the place to do it: https://github.com/arduino/forum-issues/issues/[/quote] I'm afraid I am with @Mas3 on this. And I have said the same thing before.

It should be quite sufficient for Forum users to post complaints / bugs here in the "Website and Forum" section and I expect the Forum admins / maintainers to read this section of the Forum regularly and pick up the comments. If it is convenient for the Admins to manage their affairs using Github that is their business.

And, as @Mas3 suggests, they admins should reprt back here when changes are implemented.

If they are not prepared to use this section of the Forum for what its name implies why not just remove it altogether.

I have no wish to criticize @Mastrolinux personally - he has been significantly more visible than his predecessor. But the fact remains that Forum admins only post here when they want to SAY something - never when they want to HEAR something.

...R

It's unfocussed if you post here. You lodge a complaint. A page or two later someone supports it or contradicts it. There is no record of it being accepted, or worked on, or fixed, or anything. A proper issue-reporting system is the appropriate place to lodge bugs or suggestions.

It's like trying to improve the administration of a hospital by writing letters to the local newspaper. It's not the appropriate way of doing it.

Meh. Engineers use bug tracking systems. Sounds like Robin/et al are looking for "customer service" that normally sits in between the customers and the engineers...

Be careful what you ask for. The opportunity to be kept directly in the loop with development engineering (in this case, by dealing with github) is a wonderful and frequently short time in a company's lifetime. Before you know it, you'll be dealing will clueless call center employees following a script. "Have you tried rebooting windows?"

[quote author=Nick Gammon date=1427877540 link=msg=2167012]It's not the appropriate way of doing it. [/quote] My point is that it should be made so that it is the appropriate way. I can't see it being difficult if the admins had the will to participate here.

Alternatively one of the admins (perhaps this is a role for @Mastrolinux) could have the courage to say clearly in this part of the Forum that they have no intention of participating here and people should go to Github with their complaints. (Please note that I am very clearly distinguishing here between comments by volunteers such as yourself, and comments by the "official" Arduino staff).

And, if they announce a decision not to participate here, then IMHO, this section of the Forum should be closed down.

...R